Jonathan Crompton focuses his practice on white collar and securities litigation matters. Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Crompton was an associate in an international law firm. He worked out of the firm’s London, Hong Kong and Bangkok offices, where he focused mainly on banking and finance litigation.
Mr. Crompton has advised global financial institutions, multinational corporations and private equity houses in a variety of matters before the courts of England and Wales, Hong Kong and Thailand, as well as in arbitration proceedings before a number of arbitral institutions. He has also assisted clients in regulatory inquiries by the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission, the United Kingdom Office of Fair Trading and the European Commission.
Mr. Crompton has spoken on the impact in Asia of the Foreign and Corrupt Practices Act and the U.K. Bribery Act, and on the private enforcement of anti-trust and competition laws, among other things.
His prior experience also includes serving as a judicial assistant at the High Court of England and Wales.
- A global financial institution on a dispute (with proceedings before the English and PRC courts) involving a foreign exchange hedge transaction with a mainland Chinese counterparty
- A global financial institution on numerous regulatory enquiries by the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission and related civil disputes concerning the sale of financial derivative products to private wealth clients
- A Stock Exchange of Thailand-listed subsidiary of a global financial institution on a dispute involving derivatives transactions linked to floating rate certificates of deposit issued by a Thai government bank, and on the related investigation by the Thai National Anti-Corruption Commission
- A multi-national pharmaceuticals company in an arbitration relating to a claim by a distributor for alleged breach of distribution agreement
- An international IP rights company in an arbitration against a manufacturer for breach of exclusive distribution agreement
King’s College London, LL.B. (Hons), 2002
England and Wales
Law Society of England and Wales
Law Society of Hong Kong