David A. Vaughan focuses his practice on investment management, primarily private funds.
David Vaughan has been practicing in the private fund space for well over two decades, including serving for two years as the senior private fund policy adviser in the SEC’s Division of Investment Management, advising on all aspects of legal and regulatory policy related to private funds. During that period, he played a leading role in advising on Title IV of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act and the rules implementing those provisions, the Volcker Rule, and the European Union Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive, among other things.
Mr. Vaughan works with hedge funds, private equity funds, venture capital funds and unregistered traditional funds. He represents managers with respect to fund formation, distribution and compliance issues, as well as enforcement matters. He has also represented both insurance companies and fund sponsors with respect to privately placed and offshore variable insurance products.
Mr. Vaughan is a former Director of the Managed Funds Association. In 2010, he received the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission’s Law and Policy Award, and the Federal Bar Association’s Securities Law Committee’s Philip A. Loomis, Jr. Award. Prior to joining the SEC staff, Mr. Vaughan was recognized as a leading lawyer for investment management by Chambers USA, a referral guide to leading lawyers in the United States based on the opinions of their peers and clients, and listed by Institutional Investor as one of the “Top 20 Hedge Fund Rising Stars.” He was also recognized in the 2014 edition of the Legal 500 (US) in the area of alternative/hedge funds. Mr. Vaughan is also listed as a leading lawyer in the category of U.S. investment funds by IFLR1000.
Mr. Vaughan is also a frequent speaker at industry conferences, including:
- European Hedge Fund Investment Forum
- European Fund and Asset Management Association (EFAMA, formerly FEFSI)
- The Alternative Investment Management Association (Hong Kong and Singapore)
- Investment Adviser Association Annual Compliance Conference
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Hedge Fund Roundtable
- Investment Company Institute Conference on Mutual Funds & Investment Management in Asia
- MAR Hedge International Conference on Hedge Fund Investments in Bermuda
- Investment Company Institute Mutual Funds & Investment Management Conference
- 13th Annual Global Private Equity Conference
- IA Compliance Best Practices Summit
- NICSA’s 25th Anniversary Annual Conference & Expo
- IIR Soft Dollar Practices Forum
Bowling Green State University, B.A., 1987, cum laude
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1990, cum laude
District of Columbia