Eduardo Silva Romero focuses his practice on litigation and arbitration matters, particularly international disputes involving state entities, as well as Spanish and Latin American parties.
An acknowledged expert in international arbitration, Mr. Silva Romero has supervised numerous proceedings before arbitration panels worldwide. Former Deputy Counsel, Counsel, and Deputy Secretary General of the ICC International Court of Arbitration, Mr. Silva Romero has far-reaching experience including international sales and distribution contracts, construction, oil, M&A and electricity-related disputes. He has advised on arbitration matters conducted under the auspices of the ICC, ICSID, AAA and the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce as well as in ad- hoc proceedings under the UNCITRAL arbitration rules.
Mr. Silva Romero joined Dechert LLP from Coudert Brothers Paris in 2005.
Recognized as one of the top 45 lawyers under the age of 45 (45 under 45) by Global Arbitration Review, Mr. Silva Romero is also listed in the Legal 500 EMEA, Legal 500 Latin America, Chambers Global, Chambers Europe, Chambers Latin America, Practical Law Company’s Which Lawyer? and Décideurs Stratégie Finance Droit.
- Counsel to a French multinational in a dispute with a Central American state entity under the auspices of the ICC and related to the construction of a hydro electrical plant
- Counsel in an UNCITRAL ad hoc arbitration in defense of a Central American government versus an American multinational arising from the exploitation of thermo electrical plant
- Counsel to a Spanish company in a case against two Peruvian companies in an arbitration administered under the auspices of the AAA and related to the breach of a shareholders agreement (Peruvian sugarcane company)
- Counsel to a South American State in three ICSID investment disputes with major foreign oil companies
- Counsel to a French company versus a South American State in an ICSID arbitration related to the nationalization of its investment
- Counsel to a South American investor in an ICSID dispute against a South American State related to the expropriation of a concession
As an arbitrator, Mr. Silva Romero has acted on more than 30 arbitrations conducted under the auspices of the ICC, ICSID and LCIA as well as in ad-hoc proceedings under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules. In February 2006, he was appointed by the Republic of Colombia as one of its arbitrators at ICSID.
El Rosario University, 1993
Université Panthéon Assas (Paris 2), Comparative Law and Legal Terminology
Université Panthéon Assas (Paris 2), DSU, Private International Law, 1995
Université Panthéon Assas (Paris 2), DEA, Philosophy of Law, 1996
Université Panthéon Assas (Paris 2), Ph.D., Docteur en Droit, 2000, summa cum laude
Mr. Silva Romero is a member of several institutes, associations and commissions, including:
Associate Member of the ICC Institute of World Business Law
Member and former Secretary of the ICC Latin American Arbitration Group
Colombian Member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration
Vice Chairman of the ICC Arbitration Commission
Publications and Lectures
Mr. Silva Romero is a Lecturer on Arbitration at the University of Paris-Dauphine (Paris IX), on International Contracts and Jurisprudence at the Paris Institute for Political Studies (Sciences Po), Director and Professor of International Law at the University of Rosario’s Law School in Bogota and Honorary Professor of International Law at the University of Dundee (Scotland). He is also a regular speaker at numerous conferences, seminars and courses in Europe, the US and Latin America.
Mr. Silva Romero has published dozens of books and articles on international arbitration and other matters.