Eduardo Silva Romero, Chair of Dechert’s International Arbitration global practice, focuses his practice on arbitration matters, particularly international disputes involving state entities, as well as Spanish and Latin American parties.
An acknowledged expert in international arbitration, Mr. Silva Romero has supervised numerous proceedings before arbitration panels worldwide. Former Deputy Counsel, Counsel, and Deputy Secretary General of the ICC International Court of Arbitration, Mr. Silva Romero has far-reaching experience including international sales and distribution contracts, construction, oil, M&A and electricity-related disputes. He has advised on arbitration matters conducted under the auspices of the ICC, ICSID, AAA and the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce as well as in ad- hoc proceedings under the UNCITRAL arbitration rules. As an arbitrator, Mr. Silva Romero has acted in more than 80 arbitrations.
He joined Dechert LLP from Coudert Brothers Paris in 2005.
Mr. Silva Romero is recognized as Leading Lawyer by The Legal 500 Latin America, which describes him as “one of the most impressive experts in international arbitration.” He is also consistently recommended by the Global Arbitration Review, Legal 500 EMEA, Chambers Global, Chambers Europe, Chambers Latin America, Practical Law Company’s Which Lawyer?, Décideurs Stratégie Finance Droit and The International Who’s Who of Commercial Arbitration and Energy.
Mr. Silva Romero is a Lecturer on Arbitration at the University of Paris-Dauphine (Paris IX), on International Contracts and Arbitration at the Paris Institute for Political Studies (Sciences Po), Director and Professor of International Law at the University of Rosario’s Law School in Bogota and Honorary Professor of International Law at the University of Dundee (Scotland). He is also a regular speaker at numerous conferences, seminars and courses in Europe, the US and Latin America. He is also the co-Secretary-General of the Arbitration Academy.
Mr. Silva Romero has published dozens of books and articles on international arbitration and other matters.
- Counsel to a French multinational in a dispute with a Central American state entity under the auspices of the ICC and related to the construction of a hydro electrical plant
- Counsel in an UNCITRAL ad hoc arbitration in defense of a Central American government versus an American multinational arising from the exploitation of thermo electrical plant
- Counsel to a Spanish company in a case against two Peruvian companies in an arbitration administered under the auspices of the AAA and related to the breach of a shareholders agreement (Peruvian sugarcane company)
- Counsel to a South American State in three ICSID investment disputes with major foreign oil companies
- Counsel to a French company versus a South American State in an ICSID arbitration related to the nationalization of its investment
- Counsel to a South American investor in an ICSID dispute against a South American State related to the expropriation of a concession
As an arbitrator, Mr. Silva Romero has acted on more than 80 arbitrations conducted under the auspices of the ICC, ICSID and LCIA as well as in ad-hoc proceedings under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules. In February 2006, he was appointed by the Republic of Colombia as one of its arbitrators at ICSID.
El Rosario University, 1993
Université Panthéon Assas (Paris II), Comparative Law and Legal Terminology
Université Panthéon Assas (Paris II), DSU, Private International Law, 1995
Université Panthéon Assas (Paris II), DEA, Philosophy of Law, 1996
Université Panthéon Assas (Paris II), Ph.D., Docteur en Droit, 2000, summa cum laude
Mr. Silva Romero is a member of several institutes, associations and commissions, including:
Associate Member of the ICC Institute of World Business Law
Member and former Secretary of the ICC Latin American Arbitration Group
Colombian Member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration
Vice President of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR
Vice President of the Court of the Jerusalem Arbitration Center
Secretary General of the International Academy for Arbitration Law
Chair of the Recognition and Enforcement of Arbitral Awards Subcommittee (IBA)
Chair of the State Mediation Subcommittee (IBA)
Member of the Advisory Board of AILA (Africa International Legal Awareness)
Member of the List of Arbitrators for the arbitration proceedings established under the Trade Agreement between the European Union and its Member States, of the one part, and Colombia and Peru, of the other part