Dechert’s finance and real estate group includes many of the global commercial real estate industry’s leading lawyers who have played a central role in numerous high visibility real estate transactions.
Dechert is recognized as one of the few firms—if not the only firm—that maintains a premier commercial real estate capital markets practice concentrating in loan origination, loan acquisition and disposition, securitization, rating agency, representation, servicing, workouts/restructuring and bankruptcy matters. The firm is described as a “great choice for the largest, most complex and fast-moving transactions” by Chambers USA, which also noted that Dechert’s Finance and Real Estate group has “unbelievable skills at handling complex financial structuring.”
Historically, the commercial real estate loans we originated for our clients were some of the largest in the marketplace, structured to be split and sold to dozens of investors. Throughout the years, we have worked with a wide range of financial instruments including whole mortgage loans, senior, subordinate and pari passu notes and participations, mezzanine loans (including senior/subordinate/pari passu mezzanine notes and participations), preferred equity, syndicated loans, commercial mortgage-backed securities and commercial real estate collateralized debt obligations. As the real estate market deteriorated, our clients depended on our deep knowledge of these complex transactions to advantageously workout and restructure complicated deals.
Dechert’s finance and real estate practice is particularly well known for:
- Resolving issues relating to distressed commercial real estate assets including workout and restructuring transactions, bankruptcies and enforcement proceedings
- Advising CMBS master servicers and special servicers in connection with performing, distressed and defaulted securitized commercial real estate loans
- Forming commercial real estate debt and equity investment funds
- Originating, acquiring and disposing of large and complex commercial real estate loans
- Financing commercial real estate debt purchases through warehouse facilities, repurchase agreements, secured credit facilities and subscription lines, as well as restructurings to finance debt purchases
- Advising senior executives on corporate strategy, including participating in, and the effect of, government programs to address financial market challenges
- Acquiring and disposing of large and complex commercial real estate loans and related tranches
We are and have been for many years, leaders in important industry initiatives, such as the CRE Finance Council (CREFC), the Securities Industry and Financial Market Association (SIFMA), the Mortgage Bankers Association (MBA) and the American Securitization Forum (ASF). Our attorneys contribute their time, energy and intellectual resources to advancing the goals of the various industries in which we operate. And we do more than serve the industry – we shape it.