Giles Belsey focuses his practice on financial services matters, with a particular emphasis on debt capital markets. Mr. Belsey frequently advises on medium term note programs, standalone bond issuances, hybrid capital, securitizations and other asset-backed financings. Additional transactions on which he regularly counsels clients include structured note issuances, exchanges offers and loan finance and derivatives.
Mr. Belsey is recommended for his work in the debt capital markets space in Chambers UK 2013, which describes him as a “star associate.” He was ranked among the “Key Individuals: Up and Coming” in debt capital markets by Chambers UK in 2011.
His significant experience also includes a 6-month secondment to the UK Listing Authority as a reader of debt prospectuses.
- JSC Georgian Oil and Gas Corporation in connection with the issuance of its US$250 million 6.875% Notes due 2017.
- The International Creditors’ Committee in respect of the financial restructuring of JSC Astana Finance, including the proposed issue of senior, subordinated and recovery notes and global depositary receipts representing shares.
- Joint lead managers in connection with a senior notes offering by a Georgian bank.
- VEB in connection with the update of its US$30 billion Program for the issuance of Loan Participation Notes by, but with limited recourse to, VEB Finance plc.*
- Spartan Capital Holdings in connection with its purchase, through a tender offer, of the outstanding Guaranteed Floating Rate Notes due 2015 issued by Polkomtel Finance and guaranteed by Polkomtel S.A., for over PLN 1 billion. This was the first transaction of its type in Poland.*
- A leading UK bank on senior and subordinated issuances under its euro medium term note program.*
- A leading international insurer on the establishment of its senior note program, as well as issues of subordinated debt under its subordinated debt program.*
- A leading UK bank in connection with the establishment of its program to issue residential mortgage-backed securities and its issuances thereunder.*
- The United Kingdom H.M. Treasury in connection with its Credit Guarantee Scheme and the extension of the Scheme to cover asset-backed securities. These schemes were implemented by H.M. Treasury as part of the package of measures to promote financial stability during the credit crisis.*
- The United Kingdom H.M. Treasury in connection with the nationalization of Northern Rock plc.*
- Deutsche Bank on index-linked note issuances under its debt issuance program.*
- Standard Chartered Bank in connection with senior and subordinated note issuances under its debt issuance program; on the issue of innovative tier 1 perpetual securities; and on the issuance of subordinated securities by its Malaysian subsidiary.*
- Various issuers on the creation and update of commercial paper program.*
- Various banks and swap providers on the impact of rating downgrades in connection with their structured financing transactions.*
- A leading private equity fund on the issue of a series of private equity-backed structured notes.*
- Westpac on its various debt issuance program and commercial paper programs, including issuances thereunder.*
- A Finnish bank on the English law aspects of the establishment of its covered bond program.*
- Goldman Sachs, as lead manager, of a structured secured note issuance.*
*Matter handled prior to joining Dechert.
The College of Law, London, CPE and LPC, 2000, Distinction
Christ’s College, Cambridge, B.A., 1998, Honors
Solicitor, England and Wales