James C. Wald focuses his practice on a variety of complex commercial litigation matters, including breach of contract, business tort, intellectual property, real estate, insurance, bankruptcy and First Amendment issues. In addition, Mr. Wald serves as the Los Angeles office representative on the firm-wide Pro Bono Committee.
Mr. Wald has represented companies ranging from small firms to multinational corporations, including Avery Dennison, Broadcom, Lehman Brothers, Morgan Stanley, Symantec, Westfield Shopping Centers and Zurich Financial Services.
Mr. Wald has served as a guest lecturer for undergraduate and law school classes at the University of Southern California and the University of California, Los Angeles. He currently serves as an Adjunct Professor of Pretrial Advocacy at the University of California, Irvine School of Law.
- Trial counsel to Lehman Brothers, Inc. during a six-week jury trial involving a $9.2 billion claim arising out of the failed acquisition of Unocal Corporation
- Trial counsel to a pharmaceutical manufacturer during a four-week jury trial involving a $12 million claim arising out of the supply of adulterated products
- Arbitration counsel to Symantec Corporation in a $110 million action involving breach of contract and patent licensing claims
- Arbitration counsel to Broadcom Corporation in a $15 million dispute arising from the acquisition of a distressed corporation
- Litigation counsel to Leonard Green Partners, L.P. in a $1 billion lawsuit arising from the bankruptcy of the largest US manufacturer of ladders and climbing products
- Litigation counsel to QLT, Inc. in a $125 million lawsuit involving patent royalty issues brought by a hospital affiliated with Harvard University
- Litigation counsel to Kennedy-Wilson, Inc. in a $119 million real estate matter involving an alleged joint venture
- Litigation counsel to private investors in twelve real estate litigation matters, including prosecution of a $26 million real estate fraud action
- Litigation counsel to Clearlight Partners LLC in a $2.5 million dispute arising out of the sale of Westec Security Inc., a security monitoring company
- Litigation counsel to Westfield Shopping Centers in a dispute involving the development of the Santa Anita racetrack
- Litigation counsel to a state retirement fund in a multi-million dollar action involving the development of a retail shopping center
- Litigation counsel to several pro bono clients, including victims of Hurricane Katrina, a student in need of special education, and a deaf woman who was defrauded out of her home
University of California, Berkeley, B.A., 2000, Phi Beta Kappa, High Honors, High Distinction in General Scholarship
University of Southern California Gould School of Law, J.D., 2003, Order of the Coif, Executive Editor of the Southern California Interdisciplinary Law Journal, Extern for the Honorable George H. King of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
Supreme Court of the United States
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
United States District Court for the Central District of California
United States District Court for the Southern District of California
United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
District of Columbia