Jeremy B. Zucker, co-chair of the firm’s International Trade and Government Regulation practice, advises clients on international trade regulatory compliance matters, including in relation to the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), economic sanctions programs administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and the anti-money laundering provisions of the USA Patriot Act. Mr. Zucker also has extensive experience advising on national security reviews under Exon-Florio by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS). In addition, Mr. Zucker advises clients regarding U.S. government surveillance authorities under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). He has represented clients before the U.S. Departments of Commerce, Defense, Homeland Security, Justice, State and Treasury, as well as at the White House.
Mr. Zucker assists clients in all phases of their compliance and risk mitigation programs, including evaluating existing programs, developing new plans and providing training, as well as conducting risk assessments, compliance audits and complex internal investigations. He also performs due diligence for planned mergers and acquisitions, and helps prepare and submit applications and disclosures to government authorities.
Mr. Zucker has been recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of International Trade by the Legal 500 (U.S. 2012). He was also named one of the Top 10 Rising Stars Under 40 in International Trade by Law360 in 2010.
Mr. Zucker co-founded and chairs Freedom Now, a non-profit, non-governmental and non-partisan organization working to free prisoners of conscience through legal, political and public relations advocacy efforts. Freedom Now has successfully secured the release of prisoners of conscience in Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and Asia.
Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Zucker served as a partner in the international trade and investment practice of a major international law firm. He also previously worked for an investment banking firm in New York, where he structured mergers and acquisitions in Latin America.
*Matter handled prior to joining Dechert.
- Represented multiple senior officials of a major European bank in connection with a U.S. Government investigation of violations of U.S. economic sanctions.
- Conducting an export compliance investigation in China for a publicly-traded high technology company.
- Negotiating resolution with multiple U.S. government agencies of violations of export controls and economic sanctions by a major Middle Eastern airline.
- Conducting an anti-bribery investigation in Brazil on behalf of a publicly-traded medical device company.
- Conducted an anti-corruption risk assessment and internal investigation for a major global pharmaceutical/life sciences company with respect to operations in China and Russia.*
- Performed an export compliance audit for a subsidiary of a major U.S. defense company.*
- Provided compliance advice and training to the Asian operations of a major oil and gas company.*
- Advising multiple financial services companies regarding compliance with applicable economic sanctions laws.
- Advising various multinationals with respect to sufficiency of compliance policies and procedures and suggested improvements reflecting risk assessments and global best practices.
Yale University, B.A.
Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government, M.P.P.
New York University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
District of Columbia
American Society of International Law
Society for International Affairs
Freedom Now, Co-founder and Chair
American Bar Association