Joshua H. Rawson represents clients in intellectual property transactional, licensing, and counseling matters. He negotiates sophisticated domestic and cross-border IP transactions and counsels clients on transactions involving the development, acquisition, sale, licensing, and protection of IP rights and technology assets.
He also advises clients on the management and enforcement of their patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets.
Mr. Rawson represents clients in the information technology, digital media, financial services, pharmaceutical, and electronics industries. His transactional expertise extends to assisting clients in the establishment of joint ventures and strategic alliances focused on the exploitation of intellectual property and technology. He also negotiates complex licensing and outsourcing arrangements involving patents, software, trademarks, and related services. In addition, he conducts company-wide audits of intellectual property and related practices and advises clients in establishing and improving policies respecting the identification, development, and protection of IP assets.
Mr. Rawson has also advised clients with respect to the spectrum of legal issues relating to their electronic transaction systems, including the design of effective electronic agreements, data protection, data privacy and data transfer restrictions, as well as protection of related business method patent, copyright, trade secret, and trademark rights.
Complementing Mr. Rawson's transactional experience are the skills that he acquired as a former intellectual property litigator who argued on behalf of domestic and foreign clients in both U.S. litigation and international arbitration. He represented clients engaged in disputes involving trademark, trade dress, patent, and copyright infringement, as well as the creation and misappropriation of trade secrets.
Princeton University, A.B., 1985, Magna cum laude
Harvard Law School, J.D., 1988, Cum laude
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
Supreme Court of the United States
Publications and Lectures
- "Patent Licensing Strategies for an Uncertain Environment," WRG 6th Annual Patents and the Financial Services Industry Conference, New York (July 29, 2009)
- "Maximizing Rights and Mitigating Risk in a Troubled Economic Environment," Association of Corporate Counsel Seminar, Millbrae, CA (May 5, 2009)
- "Data Privacy and Theft," Dechert LLP Client Seminar
- Co-Author, "The CREATE Act: An Imperfect Solution for Secret Prior Art Among Collaborators," Special Intellectual Property Section, New York Law Journal (October 14, 2008)
- "Building a Comprehensive Portfolio and Acquisition Strategy and Implementing a Strong Patent Strategy," World Research Group's 5th Annual Patents and the Financial Services Industry Conference, New York (July 30, 2008)
- "Patents and the Capital Markets," World Research Group's Patenting Business Methods in the Financial Services Industry, New York (July 24, 2007)
- "Evaluating Scope of IP Rights," Dechert LLP Client Seminar
- "Evaluating Scope of IP Rights in Financial Indexes, Data and Associated Derivative Products," Dechert LLP Client Seminar
- "Considerations in Outsourcing Transactions," Dechert LLP Client Seminar