Steven G. Bradbury focuses his practice on antitrust, securities litigation, and other commercial litigation and appellate matters. He has extensive experience representing leading companies in the telecommunications, financial services, and airline industries in a variety of antitrust, securities, constitutional law, administrative law, and general litigation disputes, both at the trial and appellate levels.
Mr. Bradbury joined Dechert LLP as a partner in the litigation group in July 2009 after serving as head of the Office of Legal Counsel (“OLC”) of the U.S. Department of Justice, where he was principal deputy assistant attorney general from 2004 to 2009 and acting assistant attorney general from 2005 to 2007. As head of OLC, Mr. Bradbury advised the President, the attorney general, and the heads of the various executive departments of the federal government on some of the most significant questions of constitutional, statutory, and administrative law and treaty interpretation, and he testified numerous times before Congress.
During his tenure in the Department of Justice, Mr. Bradbury received the Edmund J. Randolph Award for outstanding service to the DOJ, the Secretary of Defense Medal for Outstanding Public Service, the National Security Agency’s Intelligence Under Law Award, the Director of National Intelligence’s 2007 Intelligence Community Legal Award (Team of the Year, FISA Modernization), and the Criminal Division’s Award for Outstanding Law Enforcement Partnerships.
Mr. Bradbury worked as an attorney-adviser in the Office of Legal Counsel in 1991-1992, and as an associate at Covington & Burling LLP from 1988 to 1990.
Securities Litigation and Investigations
- Lead counsel to Morgan Stanley in defending dozens of consolidated securities class action suits involving the allocation of shares in high-tech IPOs--In re IPO Securities Litigation (S.D.N.Y.)--and related litigation in various other courts
- Lead counsel to Morgan Stanley in SEC and NASD investigations of IPO allocation practices
- Represent industry stakeholders in antitrust challenge to restrictive trademark licensing practices by NCAA colleges and their exclusive licensing agent
- Represented Dean Foods Company in defending litigation brought by the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice and the States of Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan challenging Dean Foods’ acquisition of milk processing plants--United States v. Dean Foods Co. (E.D. Wis.)
- Lead counsel to Verizon Communications in successfully obtaining dismissal of antitrust class action against Bell companies relating to competition for local telephone service (S.D.N.Y.)
- Lead counsel to Morgan Stanley in successfully obtaining dismissal of antitrust class action relating to the allocation of shares in IPOs--In re IPO Antitrust Litigation (S.D.N.Y.)
- Represented Bell Atlantic and DSC Communications Corp. in $3.5 billion monopolization suit against AT&T and Lucent Technologies (E.D. Texas)
- Represented Bell Atlantic and NYNEX in challenge to AT&T’s $19 billion acquisition of McCaw Communications (E.D.N.Y.)
- Represented GTE in motion to terminate consent decree relating to acquisition of Sprint (D.D.C.)
Merger Review and Regulatory Enforcement
- Represented third party before DOJ and FCC in connection with AT&T’s proposed acquisition of T-Mobile.
- Lead antitrust counsel to United Air Lines in obtaining DOJ approval of code-share agreement with US Airways
- Lead antitrust counsel to United Air Lines in proposed acquisition of US Airways (abandoned)
- Lead antitrust and regulatory counsel to GTE Corporation in its $56 billion merger with Bell Atlantic to create Verizon
- Lead counsel to GTE before DOJ, FCC, EC, and D.D.C. in successfully challenging Internet aspects of MCI-WorldCom merger
- Represented AOL in defending AOL-Time Warner merger before the Competition Directorate of the European Commission
- Represented Bell Atlantic in antitrust defense of $23 billion acquisition of NYNEX
Trademark and Trade Practices
- Lead counsel to Verizon Directories Corp. in Lanham Act action against Yellow Book USA, Inc. for false advertising and sales claims (E.D.N.Y.)
- Handled jury trial and argued appeal in magazine trademark suit between Petersen Publishing Co. and Time, Inc. (S.D.N.Y & 2d Cir.)
Appellate and Other Matters
- Represent Polypore International, Inc., in appeal from FTC antitrust order requiring divestiture of assets acquired from Microporous Products LP—Polypore International, Inc. v. FTC (11th Cir. oral argument presented January 25, 2012).
- Represent 215 economists as amici in appellate challenge to the federal health care reform law (11th Cir. and U.S. Sup. Ct.)
- Represented Meineke in successful appeal of $400 million damages award in class action brought by Meineke franchisees (4th Cir.)
- Represented NFL football players in a case before the Supreme Court of the United States addressing the non-statutory labor exemption to the antitrust laws--Brown v. Pro Football, Inc., 518 U.S. 231 (1996)
- Represented Verizon and Genuity in successfully defending appeal of order dismissing action under the ISP-immunity provisions of the Communications Decency Act (7th Cir.)
- Represented GTE in obtaining stay of FCC pricing rules under the Telecommunications Act of 1996 (8th Cir.)
- Represented Verizon in all aspects of strategic litigation and regulatory matters, including significant FCC rulemakings and appeals of major FCC and state PUC orders
- Represented Brown & Williamson in working with state attorneys general to craft statutory language resolving constitutional issues raised by proposed national tobacco settlement
Stanford University, B.A., 1980
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1988, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Article Editor of the Michigan Law Review
Supreme Court of the United States
United States District Court for the District of Columbia
United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
District of Columbia
Honorable Clarence Thomas, Supreme Court of the United States
Honorable James L. Buckley, United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit