Xavier Nyssen is the Head of Dechert's global International Dispute Resolution practice. Since 1988, he has concentrated his practice in international arbitration and complex litigations, especially in the telecom, energy and pharmaceutical sectors.
He has acted as counsel in numerous arbitrations whether ad hoc or under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the London Court for International Arbitration (LCIA), or the European Development Fund (FED). He is also well versed in French proceedings for annulment of arbitration awards and occasionally acts as arbitrator.
Mr. Nyssen also regularly advises foreign companies on procedures to collect evidence and to enforce foreign judgments and arbitration awards in France.
Before joining Dechert in 2005, he worked in New York and Brussels and was co-managing partner of the Paris office of Coudert Brothers, where he was responsible for the Litigation department.
In 2012, Mr. Nyssen was recognized in Chambers Europe for dispute resolution litigation in France. He is also listed in The Legal 500 Paris, Practical Law Company’s Which Lawyer?, The Best Lawyers in France and Décideurs Stratégie Finance Droit.
Recent international arbitrations include:
- Counsel to a leading European telecom company in a shareholders' dispute exceeding US $1.5 billion
- Counsel to an Asian state entity in connection with a US $2 billion dispute arising from a military procurement contract and the payment of illicit commissions
- Counsel to a private equity house in a post-acquisition dispute under the rules of the German Institute of Arbitration
- Counsel to a major US oil company in a dispute against a West African state involving a production sharing agreement
- Counsel to an Italian construction group in an ICC arbitration against a Spanish contractor
Recent litigations before French courts include:
- Counsel to a leading pharmaceutical company in a dispute related to a license and co-development contract
- Counsel to a US fund in several enforcements proceedings against sovereign states
- Counsel to a major energy company in a shareholders' dispute
- Counsel to an Asian electronic company in a product liability litigation
University of Liège, M.A., Law, 1986
Columbia Law School, LL.M., 1999
Member, Litigation Committee of the International Bar Association
Member, Advisory Board of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration
Member, the Belgian Center for Mediation and Arbitration (CEPANI)