Eduardo Silva Romero, co-Chair of Dechert’s International Arbitration global practice, focuses his practice on arbitration matters, particularly international disputes involving States and State entities.
An acknowledged expert in international arbitration, Mr. Silva Romero has supervised numerous proceedings before arbitration panels worldwide. Former Deputy Counsel, Counsel, and Deputy Secretary General of the ICC International Court of Arbitration, Mr. Silva Romero has far-reaching experience including international sales and distribution contracts, construction, mining, oil and gas, and electricity-related disputes. He has advised on arbitration matters conducted under the auspices of the ICC, ICSID, AAA and the SCC as well as in ad- hoc proceedings under the UNCITRAL arbitration rules. As an arbitrator, Mr. Silva Romero has acted in more than 100 arbitrations.
Mr. Silva Romero is recognized as a leading lawyer by The Legal 500 EMEA 2015 which notes that his "high experience and international prestige" impresses clients. The Legal 500 Latin America 2014 describes him as “one of the most impressive experts in international arbitration.” He is also consistently recommended by the Global Arbitration Review, Legal 500 EMEA, Chambers Global, Chambers Europe, Chambers Latin America, Practical Law Company’s Which Lawyer?, Décideurs Stratégie Finance Droit and The International Who’s Who of Arbitration and Energy and The Who's Who Legal: France - Arbitration. In 2016, he was named MVPs of the Year by Law 360 for their accomplishments in international arbitration.
Mr. Silva Romero is a lecturer on Investment Arbitration and International Contracts at the Paris Institute for Political Studies (Sciences Po), on Arbitration at the University of Paris-Dauphine (Paris IX) and Director and Professor of International Law at the University of Rosario’s Law School in Bogota. He is also a regular speaker at numerous conferences, seminars and courses in Europe, the US and Latin America.
Mr. Silva Romero has published dozens of books and articles on international arbitration and other matters.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- A leading European gas company in its gas pricing dispute against another leading European gas company in a potential ICC arbitration arising from a long term gas supply contract.
- A French multinational in a dispute with a Central American state entity in an ICC arbitration related to the construction of a hydro electrical plant.
- A Brazilian company against a Portuguese group of companies in an ICC arbitration arising from fraudulent schemes in the execution of several financial agreements concluded for the financing of a construction project.
- An American company against a South Korean company in an ICC arbitration arising from the marketing and sales of smartphones using the American company’s softwares.
- A Spanish company in a case against two Peruvian companies in an AAA arbitration related to the breach of a shareholders agreement (Peruvian sugarcane company).
- A South American investor in an ICSID dispute against a South American State related to the expropriation of a concession.
- A South American State in two ICSID arbitrations arising out of Ecuador’s windfall profit levy on oil revenues.
- A group of Costa Rican and Dutch investors against a Central American State in an ICSID arbitration relating to the construction and development of an ecotourist resort on the Panamanian coast.
- A European State in an UNCITRAL arbitration arising from changes in the regulatory framework for lotteries and gaming.
El Rosario University, 1993
Université Paris 2 Panthéon-Assas, Comparative Law and Legal Terminology
Université Paris 2 Panthéon-Assas, DSU, Private International Law, 1995
Université Paris 2 Panthéon-Assas, DEA, Philosophy of Law, 1996
Université Paris 2 Panthéon-Assas, Ph.D., Docteur en Droit, 2000, summa cum laude
Chair IBA Arbitration Committee
Associate Member, ICC Institute of World Business Law
Member and Former Secretary, ICC Latin American Arbitration Group
Colombian Member, ICC Commission on Arbitration
Vice President, ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR
Vice President, Court of the Jerusalem Arbitration Center
FormerSecretary General, International Academy for Arbitration Law
Advisory Board of AILA (Africa International Legal Awareness)
List of Arbitrators for the arbitration proceedings established under the Trade Agreement between the European Union and its Member States, of the one part, and Colombia and Peru, of the other part