Global Reach and Experience
Dechert’s international arbitration team has the global resources and experience to handle the largest, most complex disputes confronting businesses and governments throughout the world. With a comprehensive network of offices worldwide and a formidable track record, Dechert lawyers seamlessly serve clients on a global basis in real time and around the clock.
Our arbitration lawyers have significant experience resolving contentious issues confronting clients engaged in both domestic and cross-border business. Ranked in the top tier for international arbitration by Chambers, The Legal 500, and the Global Arbitration Review 100, we have acted as counsel under all major arbitration rules and in proceedings with a vast range of governing laws and venues.
Our well-established team possesses detailed knowledge of arbitration institutions, applicable rules, regulations and practices. We regularly handle international disputes under the laws of dozens of different countries and are particularly adept at evaluating the interplay of applicable laws, sovereign immunity, international treaties and their impact on the outcome of matters and the enforcement of awards.
Experienced, Multilingual Counsel
Dechert lawyers have worked for arbitration tribunals and committees and regularly serve as arbitrators and counsel, giving us valuable insight into the keys to successful arbitration. Team members include a:
- recent Secretary General and past Deputy Secretary General of the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- vice chairman for Latin America of the ICC Arbitration Commission
- president of the French Committee on International Private Law
- former president of the International Commercial Arbitration Committee of the International Law Association
With multilingual teams in Paris, London, Moscow, Hong Kong, Beijing, Washington, D.C., New York, Dubai, Singapore and Almaty, we have acted for our clients on all sides of the table, representing states and state entities, majority and minority shareholders in joint ventures, multinational corporations, medium-sized companies and individuals. Our lawyers also serve clients in a wide range of industries, from oil & gas to construction, defense, telecommunications, transportation, banking & finance and pharmaceutical companies.
Our international arbitration lawyers have acted as counsel or arbitrators under all major arbitration rules and in proceedings with a vast range of governing laws and venues, including those of the:
- American Arbitration Association (AAA) and its International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR)
- Beijing Arbitration Commission (BAC)
- Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR)
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC)
- Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC)
- European Development Fund
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
- International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- International Commercial Arbitration Court at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation (ICAC)
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR)
- Japan Commercial Arbitration Association (JCAA)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
- Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC)
- United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL)
- Vienna International Arbitration Centre (VIAC)
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- Zurich Chamber of Commerce (ZCC)
Our depth and reach affords clients a critical advantage in cases requiring a firm grasp of the complex interplay between international treaties or state and federal arbitration laws, or a familiarity with local rules and practices. We have represented clients in major disputes conducted in English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish. In addition, many of our lawyers have worked for arbitration courts and committees and have served as arbitrators, giving us valuable insight into the keys to successful arbitration.
Successful resolution of matters handled on behalf of our clients has included not just obtaining numerous arbitral awards and court judgments, but actually collecting hundreds of millions of dollars of such judgments through enforcement actions coordinated in jurisdictions around the world on behalf of our clients.
Our team’s experience enables us to navigate our clients through complex disputes with keen insight and understanding. Recent recognition includes:
- Ranked among the top law firms for Arbitration (International): Global. – Chambers Global
- Ranked among the top law firms for International Arbitration globally. – Global Arbitration Review
- Ranked among the top law firms for International Arbitration in Latin America. – Chambers Latin America and Chambers Global, The Legal 500 Latin America
- Ranked among the top law firms for International Arbitration in France. – Chambers Global
Negotiating and Drafting Arbitration Agreements
In addition to handling arbitrations, we anticipate the potential for disputes, often assisting clients with negotiating and drafting arbitration agreements to protect their rights in international transactions. Taking a proactive approach, we draft clauses with the best choice of forum and choice of law to protect our clients and ensure the highest chances of enforceability should a dispute arise.