John D. LaRocca advises clients on mergers and acquisitions, recapitalizations, corporate finance transactions, leveraged buyouts, and venture capital investments. Mr. LaRocca has been ranked among the top private equity buyouts lawyers in the United States by leading legal directory Chambers USA, where he is recognized for having “excellent judgment, knowing exactly when to be more flexible and when to stand firm.”
In addition, he has been listed as a top lawyer for private equity buyouts in The Legal 500 U.S., which noted his “very good business-sense.” A certified public accountant, Mr. LaRocca was a senior accountant with Price Waterhouse prior to joining Dechert.
Mr. LaRocca has represented a wide range of strategic buyers and sellers across various industries, including utilities, manufacturing, chemicals and consumer products and retail. Representative transactions include: Church & Dwight’s US$380 million acquisition of the Del Pharmaceuticals division from Coty Inc.; its US$325 million acquisition of Orange Glo International, a household cleaner products company and maker of OxiClean®; and its acquisition of the SpinBrush toothbrush business from Procter & Gamble; AmerisourceBergen’s acquisition of US Bioservices; FMC Corporation’s acquisition of Elf Atochem’s soda ash business; and American Water Works’ acquisition of National Enterprises, which was then the largest acquisition in the history of the U.S. water utility industry.
Mr. LaRocca’s corporate finance experience includes domestic and international offerings of both public and private equity and debt, including the financing of AmeriSource’s merger with Bergen Brunswig, the financing of ValueAct Capital’s acquisition of Seitel Inc., the financing of the recapitalization of Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company, and project financing transactions for several Latin American operations of Crown Holdings, Inc.
- US$660 million acquisition of U.S. Industries’ Diversified Businesses by Citigroup Venture Capital.
- US$340 million acquisition by buyout firm Madison Dearborn Partners LLC of Great Lakes Dredge and Dock from Citigroup Venture Capital Equity Partners, L.P.
- US$150 million sale of Airxcel, Inc. by Citigroup Venture Capital Equity Partners, L.P. to Bruckmann, Rosser, Sherrill & Co. LLC.
- Acquisition by Germany-based Norma Group, a portfolio company of 3i Group plc, of Breeze International Products Corporation from Wind Point Partners.
- US$2.25 billion acquisition by Graham Partners (along with Apollo Management, L.P.) of BPC Holding Corporation (parent of Berry Plastics Corporation).
- Acquisitions by Graham Partners of several portfolio companies including Infiltrator Systems, Inc., Atlas/Vitron, Transaxle and Schneller LLC.
- Sale of GST Autoleather, Inc. by Strategic Industries LLC to funds serviced by Advantage Partners, LLP, an Asia-based private equity firm.
- Sale of TL Ventures’ equity interest in Traffic.com.
- FastenTech, Inc. in its US$492 million sale to UK-based Doncasters as well as in numerous acquisitions, including Gear & Broach, Inc.; Acraline Products Inc.; Meco, Inc.; Triumph Group, Inc.’s special processes business; Katsakos Industries Inc.; Spun Metals, Inc.; and BNC & Associates, Inc.
- Acquisition by Joshua Partners in its acquisition of Medicia Corp, a contract manufacturer and service provider to the pharmaceutical and personal care products sectors.
Drexel University, B.S., 1985
Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 1990, magna cum laude, business editor of the Temple Law Review
Supreme Court of New Jersey
Supreme Court of Pennsylvania