Joseph M. Abraham represents technology, medical device and pharmaceutical companies in patent litigation, as both plaintiffs and defendants. In the litigation arena, Mr. Abraham’s experience spans all aspects of trial and appellate practice in federal and state courts across the United States, and before domestic and international arbitral tribunals. Mr. Abraham also maintains an active pro bono practice, including representing individuals in immigration proceedings.
Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Abraham worked at two major U.S. law firms, where he advised major pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers on litigation matters including patent infringement and contractual disputes. His experience also includes representing insurance companies in trial and appellate litigation relating to residential mortgage-backed securities and state regulatory assessments. He also previously served as pro bono Assistant Counsel to the New York State Commission on Judicial Nomination (Hon. Judith Kaye (Ret.), Chair).
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- Intellectual Ventures v. AT&T Mobility et al. (U.S. District Court, District of Delaware). Represent Intellectual Ventures in multiple patent infringement suits relating to telecommunications systems. Pending.
- Intellectual Ventures v. AT&T, Inc. et al. (U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas). Represent Intellectual Ventures in multiple patent infringement suits relating to DSL systems. Pending.
- A medical device manufacturer in a billion dollar damages action for patent infringement in U.S. District Court. Trial team obtained largest-ever settlement of U.S. patent litigation.
- A medical device manufacturer in appeal on damages and validity issues before the Federal Circuit.
- A manufacturer of simulated high-altitude training systems in action for patent infringement in U.S. District Court.
- A medical device manufacturer in claim for patent infringement in private arbitration.
- A major pharmaceutical manufacturer and a university’s non-profit technology transfer affiliate in patent infringement disputes arising under the Hatch-Waxman Act.
- A major pharmaceutical company in connection with allegations of false advertising under the Lanham Act.
- A major pharmaceutical manufacturer in contractual dispute relating to a billion dollar product in private arbitration.
- A major medical device manufacturer in contractual dispute in private arbitration.
- Financial guaranty insurers in disputes relating to residential mortgage-backed securities, in both state and federal court.
- A group of self-insurance trusts in constitutional challenge to regulatory and legislative actions relating to the New York State Workers’ Compensation Law.
- A nationwide provider of construction equipment financing in contractual dispute in state court.
Rice University, B.A., Physics, 1999, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
New York University School of Law, J.D., 2007, cum laude; Robert McKay Scholar; Jack J. Katz Memorial Award; Executive Editor, Journal of Legislation and Public Policy
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
Austin Intellectual Property American Inn of Court