Monique Lee focuses her practice on intellectual property litigation, licensing and regulatory issues in Greater China. Ms. Lee has represented and advised multinational companies and ventures in various sectors, including electronics, wireless technologies, consumer healthcare, pharmaceuticals, medical equipment and health services, in matters such as freedom-to-operate, licenses and compliance, IP acquisitions and infringement analysis, and anti-counterfeiting investigations.
Ms. Lee’s experience also includes handling design, copyright, computer software, trademark, unfair competition, antitrust and data privacy matters.
Prior to joining Dechert, Ms. Lee was an associate in the IP practice of a major U.S. law firm. She has also worked in boutique intellectual property firms in Washington D.C., Tokyo and Hong Kong.
Significant RepresentationsLitigation and Enforcement
Transactional and Licensing
- A U.S.-based technology and software conglomerate in patent enforcement and litigation initiatives against a multinational telecommunication equipment maker and service provider headquartered in Shenzhen, including: developing invalidation and non-infringement analysis against a bundle of PRC patents regarding WLAN and video compression standards, as well as information processing and cloud storage methods for wireless and mobile networks; devising defense strategies in China based on the adversary’s litigation practice; and conducting extensive research on specific issues such as enforceability of essential patents and impact of process claims to pure manufacturing activities in China.
- A leading U.S.-based electronics manufacturer in patent litigation in China (as part of ongoing litigation worldwide) against its biggest competitor regarding microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), including: defending an evidence preservation order issued by the Shanghai Intermediate People’s Court in Suzhou; submitting multiple invalidation petitions to suspend parallel infringement proceedings; devising well-rounded defense strategies and arguments which integrated subject matter litigated in corresponding proceedings in Europe, U.S. district court and USITC in combination with substantive and procedural issues unique to China; and liaising with U.S. counsel to achieve and execute a favorable global settlement.
- A patent licensing entity in seeking discovery of key technical documents possessed by a large group of third party manufacturers based in China and Taiwan in support of U.S. patent litigations.
- A household brand U.S. consumer electronics company in seeking invalidation of a PRC patent on audio systems of another U.S.-based high-end audio maker regarding technology used in its docking stations and wireless speakers.
- The world’s largest luggage manufacturer in seeking invalidation of a PRC invention patent owned by a UK competitor on an expandable mechanism for hard shell luggage.
- NYS-listed medical equipment companies, a leading healthcare consumer product manufacturer, an international architectural firm and a NASDAQ-listed IC manufacturer in conducting anti-counterfeiting investigations and enforcement actions in China.
- A Hong Kong personal care company in tackling false advertising by a competitor involving manipulation of test standards.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- A European-based biopharmaceutical company in negotiation of a license and collaboration agreement with a local partner regarding development, manufacturing and commercialization of biologicals in China.
- A large U.S. consumer electronics company in conducting due diligence for its bid to purchase IP assets of a household audio brand.
The University of British Columbia, B.S.A., Electrical Engineering, 2005
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University, J.D., 2009
Registered Foreign Lawyer, Hong Kong