Federico Arata* focuses his practice on international arbitration, both investment treaty and commercial matters.
Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Arata practiced at another international law firm and was based in Miami, having also previously practiced in Argentina. Mr. Arata also served as Professor of Practices of Bankruptcy and Reorganization Proceedings at the Torcuato Di Tella University in Buenos Aires.
- Colombian investors in an ICSID arbitration against a South American State in relation to the expropriation of a transport company.
- The Republic of Guatemala against an Israeli investor in a PCA arbitration under the rules of UNCITRAL related to the acquisition of a company in the energy distribution sector.
- The Plurinational State of Bolivia against Glencore in a PCA arbitration under the rules of UNCITRAL arising from the nationalization of Bolivia’s largest tin/zinc mine (Colquiri), a tin smelter and an antimony smelter.
- A South American Autonomous Municipal Government in an ICC arbitration commenced by a Spanish Consortium related to the construction of a tramway line.
- A Brazilian company in an ICC arbitration against an Argentinean company in relation to the default of a gas-supply agreement.
- A leading methanol producer in an ICC arbitration against a Brazilian state-owned company in relation to the default of a gas-supply agreement.
- An Ecuadorian national oil company in two PCA arbitrations related to the production of crude oil.
- The Republic of Paraguay against a Portuguese construction company in a PCA arbitration under the rules of UNCITRAL arising from the construction of a bus rapid transit (BRT) system.
- A Latin American State against a Uruguayan company in an ICC arbitration related to the tune up and maintenance of roads.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- Universidad Torcuato Di Tella, Law Degree, 2011
- UCLA School of Law, LL.M., 2017, Class Speaker at the Commencement Ceremony
- *Admitted in Buenos Aires and New York only