Kimberly Branscome, Managing Partner of Dechert’s Los Angeles office, acts as trial counsel in complex litigation, advising on product and professional liability, environmental and toxic tort and securities matters. Ms. Branscome advises clients from a broad range of sectors, including the pharmaceutical, consumer products, oil & gas and automotive industries.
Ms. Branscome has served as lead trial counsel in product liability litigation for a major multinational corporation, securing victories for the client in high-profile jury trials regarding allegations of asbestos contamination in that company’s talcum powder products. These wins were recognized by the Daily Journal as “Top Defense Verdicts” in 2018 and 2019, as well as one of the “Top Product Liability cases of 2018” by Law360.
In addition, Ms. Branscome has served as lead counsel for a product manufacturer in a multi-district litigation involving hearing loss claims by service members related to a product sold to the military.
Ms. Branscome has also served as trial counsel for one of the world’s largest automakers in litigation regarding its vehicle’s ignition switches, in which she secured victories for the client in the second federal bellwether trial and the first state bellwether trial. She also served as trial counsel for a global oil & gas company in litigation arising out of an oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
Widely recognized in her field, Ms. Branscome is consistently ranked in The Legal 500 US for product liability and mass torts and is recognized in Chambers US 2021’s “Up and Coming” category. In addition, she was named one of the Los Angeles Business Journal’s “Top Litigators & Trial Lawyers” and “Most Influential Women Lawyers” in 2019, and was included in the Daily Journal's 2019, 2020 and 2021 list of “Top Women Lawyers” and “Top 100 Lawyers in California” in 2019. In 2022, Ms. Branscome was recognized among The American Lawyer’s 2022 “West Trailblazers” listing, which recognizes professionals in the western states who have moved the needle in the legal industry.
Ms. Branscome is a member of Dechert's nationally recognized team of product liability and mass tort lawyers, ranked Band 1 for Nationwide Product Liability & Mass Torts by Chambers USA and Litigation Department of the Year for Product Liability by New York Law Journal in 2020.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- A major multinational corporation in a product liability action where the plaintiff alleged that the client’s talcum-based baby powder products contained asbestos that caused the plaintiff to develop mesothelioma. Secured multiple complete defense verdicts.
- A manufacturing company in product liability litigation involving allegations that a product sold to the military is related to hearing loss suffered by servicemen and women.
- One of the world’s largest automakers in multidistrict federal and state civil litigation relating to vehicle recalls.
- A manufacturing company in product liability litigation involving allegations that its product, CSST flexible steel gas piping, was defective.
- A multinational oil and gas company in multidistrict and related civil litigation arising out of the April 20, 2010, Deepwater Horizon drilling rig explosion and fire and resulting oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
- A multinational oil and gas company in securities fraud multidistrict litigation alleging it and other defendants materially misrepresented by the client's stock prior to and immediately following the Deepwater Horizon explosion on April 20, 2010.
- A global professional services firm in professional liability action arising from damage to the Opry Mills Mall after the historic 2010 flooding of the Cumberland River in Nashville, TN.
- Pharmaceutical clients in mass tort and multi-district litigation involving product liability claims related to their prescription medicines.
- Dechert's LA Managing Partner On The Firm's Calif. Growth — Law360 (August 31, 2021)
- Demystifying The Virtual Civil Jury Trial Experience — Law360 (April 29, 2021)
- Presenting and Handling Exhibits in a Civil Trial — Thomson Reuters (December 2021/January 2022)
- Drafting and Exchanging Exhibit Lists for a Federal Civil Trial — Thomson Reuters (Summer 2022)
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Law360’s 2019 Trials Editorial Advisory Board
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, Honorable J. L. Edmondson
- Vanderbilt University, B.E., Biomedical Engineering & Chemical Engineering, 2004, magna cum laude
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 2007, Executive Editor, Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy
- District of Columbia