Jason Chan’s practice focuses on investment funds formation transactions, including hedge funds, crypto funds and retail funds. He also has experience advising on a diverse range of ongoing compliance, legal and regulatory matters related to the financial services industry in Hong Kong, with a particular focus on the regulatory and licensing requirements for fund managers and the rapidly evolving regulatory landscape for participants in the virtual assets ecosystem.
Mr. Chan is a committee member of the Investment Product and Financial Services Committee of The Law Society of Hong Kong.
- Various international, Asia-based and Hong Kong fund managers and family offices on the formation of hedge funds, private equity funds, cryptocurrency funds and real estate funds.
- A virtual asset manager in securing regulatory approval from the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission to manage 100% virtual asset portfolios, as well as establishing two passive cryptocurrency tracker funds, one actively-managed multi-strategy cryptocurrency fund and one multi-asset fund.
- An asset manager in Hong Kong on the formation and offer of Asia’s first tokenized Bitcoin-themed quantitative fund.
- Multiple SFC-authorised retail funds and ETFs in relation to establishment, SFC authorization applications and ongoing compliance obligations.
- A PRC asset manager on the establishment of a multi-manager SPC platform.
- The largest Hong Kong charity in its investments into a U.S. private equity fund.
- Financial institutions on SFC license applications and ongoing compliance.
- Financial institutions and asset managers on a diverse range of legal and regulatory issues, including regulated activities, cross-border marketing, professional investor regime, personal data protection, outsourcing, AML and KYC-related obligations.
- Traditional financial institutions in relation to cryptocurrency-related legal and regulatory matters.
- Cryptocurrency exchanges in relation to regulatory investigations and cryptocurrency related legal and regulatory matters.
- Multiple ICO/STO-issuers in relation to deal structuring, regulated instrument categorization, marketing restrictions, AML and regulatory compliance.
- Fund managers on applications and ongoing compliance for northbound and southbound mutual recognition of retail funds between PRC and Hong Kong.
- International asset managers on negotiating and drafting RQFII/ QFII/ QDII/ CIBM/ Stock Connect/ Bond Connect agreements for Chinese inbound and outbound investments.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm
- Committee Member, Investment Product and Financial Services Committee of The Law Society of Hong Kong
- Committee Member, Young Leaders Group of Urban Land Institution (ULI)
- Committee Member, Leaders of Tomorrow committee of China and Real Estate Chamber of Commerce Hong Kong and International Chapter (CRECCHKI)
- Committee Member, Financial Services Research Group (FSRG)
- Member, Blockchain, Wealth-Tech and Digital Banking Sub-Committees of the FinTech Association of Hong Kong
Hong KongDechert, 31/F Jardine House, One Connaught Place, Central, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- +852 3518 4748
+852 3518 4777
- London School of Economics and Political Science, LL.B., 2012, Second Upper
- City University of Hong Kong, P.C.LL., 2013
- Hong Kong