Samantha DeRuvo represents clients in complex commercial disputes before federal and state courts, and has litigated cases at both the trial and appellate levels. She has also represented clients in internal investigations and government investigations involving the U.S. DOJ, SEC, FINRA, and CFTC.
Ms. DeRuvo’s experience includes representing Fortune 500 corporations in litigation involving securities and derivatives transactions, board mismanagement, government investigations, internal investigations, breach of contract, and labor and employment disputes. She has extensive experience in several aspects of litigation, including drafting dispositive motions that resulted in favorable outcomes for clients, as well as preparing for trial.
In addition, Ms. DeRuvo has represented a private, global investment company in Section 36(b) litigation challenging advisory and distribution fees for the complex’s largest mutual fund, in which she helped secure victory for the client in a federal trial in the Southern District of New York. She also successfully defended a media company in multiple sexual harassment and gender discrimination lawsuits in New York state and federal courts.
In her pro bono practice, Ms. DeRuvo has been on the front lines of high impact cases involving constitutional challenges to state anti-abortion legislation. In 2021, Dechert honored her with its annual Sam Klein Pro Bono Award for her work with respect to challenging Oklahoma’s COVID-19 restrictions on reproductive rights. The Legal Aid Society also awarded Ms. DeRuvo the 2021 Pro Bono Publico award for her work representing foster children in a class action suit against various agencies in New York State for their unconstitutional parental disqualification policies.
- Commercial lender in a fraud and breach of contract action arising out of prospective loan transaction with crowdfunded borrower.
- Calamos Advisors and Calamos Financial Services in Section 36(b) litigation challenging advisory and distribution fees for the complex’s largest mutual fund.
- Security Investors, LLC, in Section 36(b) litigation challenging advisory fees for a closed-end fund.
- Media company in multiple sexual harassment and gender discrimination lawsuits in New York state and federal courts.
- Interactive Brokers Group in class action litigation.
White-Collar and Investigations
- Law firm in connection with a federal criminal investigation.
- Individual in the DOJ, SEC, Federal Reserve Bank and Hong Kong SFC investigations into bonds issued by 1MDB, a Malaysian sovereign wealth fund.
- Internal investigations of #Metoo allegations brought against asset managers and a variety of public and private companies.
- An executive at a major auto manufacturer in DOJ and EPA investigations of diesel emissions violations and related civil litigations.
- Legal Aid and Dechert File Class Action Lawsuit Against NYS, NYC for Practices that Deny Children Foster Placement with Relatives - (November 10, 2021)
- Tenth Circuit Affirms Another Adviser Victory in Section 36(b) Lawsuit - (August 20, 2021)
- 2021 Samuel E. Klein Pro Bono Awards - (April 13, 2021)
- Federal Court Issues Trial Ruling in Section 36(b) Lawsuit: Great-West Advisory Fees Held Not a Breach of Fiduciary Duty - (August 17, 2020)
- New York State and City Pass Sweeping Changes to Employment Legislation: What Employers Need to Know - (January 02, 2020)
- Recent Section 36(b) Post-Trial Ruling Awards Complete Victory to Mutual Fund Investment Adviser - (October 10, 2019)
- Second Circuit Affirms District Court Holding in Edwards v. Sequoia Fund, Inc. - (October 08, 2019)
- Second Circuit Finds that Section 47(b) Provides for Private Right of Action, Raising New Implications and Considerations for Mutual Fund Advisers and Trustees - (September 09, 2019)
- Court Credits Robust Board Process and Persuasive Independent Trustee Trial Testimony in Section 36(b) Victory - (August 08, 2019)
- Newsflash: Judge Imposes September 30, 2019 Deadline for Submission of Data in Response to EEOC Rule Targeting Pay Disparities - (April 30, 2019)
- New York Issues Long-Awaited Draft Guidance On Workplace Sexual Harassment Policies and Training - (August 29, 2018)
- Cornell University, B.S., 2013
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2016, cum laude