Derivative and Securities
- Representing the directors and officers of a Fortune 10 company in the defense of shareholder derivative claims, including in connection with a Special Litigation Committee investigation, arising from various government investigations.
- Represented through trial and successful appeal Delaware LLC member in connection with claims alleging numerous breaches of fiduciary and contractual duties in Delaware Chancery Court.
- Counseled Audit Committee of leading retailer during investigation of FCPA violations.
- Obtained dismissal, and Third Circuit affirmance of dismissal, of putative class and derivative claims brought by policyholders against a Fortune 500 insurance company.
- Defended through trial mutual fund adviser in excessive fee litigation under the Investment Company Act of 1940 in the S.D.N.Y.
- Represented a gaming company in a Constitutional challenge to state gaming expansion legislation.
- Defending a generic pharmaceuticals supplier against civil Sherman Act claims in MDL action, as well as parallel government investigations.
- Defended a generic pharmaceuticals manufacturer against Lanham Act false advertising claims.
- Defended a leading milk processor against Sherman Act claims by retailers, resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Defended leading cell phone manufacturer in products liability class action concerning cell phone radiofrequency emissions, resulting in dismissal on summary judgment.
- Defended life sciences company in securities class action and related derivative claims related to disclosure of clinical trial results, resulting in favorable universal settlement.
- Defended paints and coatings maker in securities class action through settlement.
- Represented wrongfully convicted individual in civil claims against City of Philadelphia, resulting in $4 million settlement; argued motion to dismiss and took multiple depositions.
- Represented the League of Women Voters through successful appeal in the Pennsylvania Supreme Court in overturning Pennsylvania’s Marsy’s Law for legislature’s failure to comply with constitutional procedures for amending the Pennsylvania Constitution
- Represented widow of police officer killed in the line of duty with unlawfully purchased gun, obtaining significant monetary settlement and changes to defendant seller’s sales practices.
- Represented multiple federal and state prisoners in Section 1983 claims brought against prison officials, resulting in multiple favorable settlements.
- In 2021 and 2022, Ms. Engsell was recognized in Best Lawyers as being among the “Ones to Watch” for Commercial Litigation in Pennsylvania, as well as “Ones to Watch” for Women in the Law. These recognitions are given to attorneys who are early in their careers for outstanding professional excellence based off of peer review.
- Dechert and ACLU Secure Win on Behalf of League of Women Voters of Pennsylvania in Marsy’s Law Decision - (January 07, 2021)
- Dechert Files Important Voting Rights Lawsuit in Pennsylvania on Behalf of NAACP - (June 18, 2020)
- Dechert Secures Historic Settlement for Pro Bono Client - (January 02, 2020)
- Dechert Assists ACLU and League of Women Voters of Pennsylvania on Marsy’s Law Ballot Question - (November 05, 2019)
- Dechert Supports ACLU in Challenge to Marsys Law - (October 16, 2019)
- Dechert Secures Major Trial Victory in Eggs Class Action - (June 18, 2018)
- Pennsylvania Codifies Standards for Derivative Actions: What It Means for Shareholder Litigation in Pennsylvania - (April 19, 2017)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, Honorable Eduardo C. Robreno
- New York University, B.S., Media, Culture and Communications, 2010, summa cum laude
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2015, Executive Editor, University of Pennsylvania Law Review, Vol. 163; Littleton Fellow (Legal Writing Instructor)
- The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Certificate in Management, 2015
- New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit