Daniel Gaw focuses his practice on international arbitration and litigation. He represents international clients across a wide array of industries including oil and gas, electricity, construction, commodities, telecommunications and banking.
Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Gaw was a Justices’ Law Clerk of the Supreme Court of Singapore, taught at Singapore Management University and worked at a well-known transnational law firm in Singapore. He has co-authored chapters on litigation in Law and Practice of Commercial Litigation in Singapore and Civil Litigation in Singapore. Mr. Gaw has also been appointed by the Singapore High Court as amicus curiae in two separate appeals concerning significant questions of law and public interest.
- A consortium in two multi-billion-dollar LNG price review arbitrations under the ICC Rules, which were first-of-their-kind cases in the Asian LNG industry.
- The Turkish sellers in a post-M&A arbitration under the SIAC Rules, in one of the very first third-party funded arbitrations in Singapore.
- A Korean green energy company in an ICC arbitration against buyers for breach of a long-term supply agreement.
- A U.S. oil major in an arbitration with a Japanese energy company over the valuation of a company.
- A European energy company in relation to its dispute with an Asian state-owned oil and gas company over a petroleum risk-sharing contract.
- A Korean commodities trader in a dispute with its Australian agent concerning alleged unpaid fees.
- A Chinese oil and gas company in a dispute against the Federal Government of Nigeria.
- A Japanese courier services company in an ICC arbitration over a dispute with its distributors in Southeast Asia.
- A Singapore owner of a hotel in SIAC and ICC arbitration proceedings over a dispute with the Swiss hotel operator.
- An Indonesian client in a SIAC arbitration over agreements relating to the supply of timber in Indonesia.
- A Singapore construction company in a SIAC arbitration involving claims for breaches of a design-and-build contract.
- A UK electronic market maker in the Singapore International Commercial Court against a cryptocurrency exchange for the misappropriation of Bitcoin.
- A Singapore telecommunications entity in court proceedings against another telecommunications entity in a dispute over the construction of the national fibre network.
- A Swiss bank in court proceedings brought by a Chinese client for alleged breaches of contract and duty of care.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- Solving Problems: International Arbitration in Australia & Asia in 2018 - Darwin (October 24, 2018)
Panelist; Discussed "The Arbitration Model - History, Purposes, Difference, Party Autonomy," "Ad hoc and Institutional Arbitration; Procedure," "Role of the Courts: Enforcement, Setting Aside, Supervision," and "Review: Hot Topics, Future of Arbitration - Singapore, China, Australia"
- Singapore Law Society
- Singapore Academy of Law
- National University of Singapore, LL.B., 2012, First Class Honors
- New York University, LL.M., International Business Regulation, Litigation and Arbitration, 2021, Arthur T. Vanderbilt Scholar