Monica I. Gorny is an associate in Dechert’s product liability and mass torts group and focuses on complex product liability litigation, mass torts and environmental toxic torts. Ms. Gorny has represented clients from the pharmaceutical, medical device, consumer product and building materials industries in products liability and mass torts litigation in state and federal courts. She has experience in nearly all aspects of complex litigation, including fact and expert discovery, motions practice and briefing. She has developed expert witnesses, prepared company witnesses for deposition and drafted dispositive motions and appellate briefs.
Ms. Gorny maintains an active pro bono practice. She has represented several individuals facing violations of their civil rights. She won appeals for two military veterans before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. She has also successfully represented and advised individuals on immigration matters.
Ms. Gorny was a Dechert summer associate in 2016.
- Bayer in lawsuits concerning its intrauterine permanent birth control device Essure in a consolidated federal proceeding in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
- Johnson & Johnson as lead appellate counsel in Pennsylvania mass tort litigation claiming personal injury from use of Risperdal, a prescription atypical antipsychotic medication.
- A pharmaceutical and biotechnology company as U.S. national counsel regarding any product liability issues relating to its COVID-19 vaccine.
- Purdue as national counsel in lawsuits in a federal MDL and in state courts across the country concerning its prescription opioid pain medications, including OxyContin.
- Saint-Gobain Corporation in an action by 247 UK residents and their estates who seek damages as a result of the 2017 fire at Grenfell Tower, a high-rise apartment building in London. In March 2020, Saint-Gobain secured an order of dismissal due to its lack of involvement in the fire or products at issue.
- Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics as national and trial counsel in a high-profile environmental toxic tort litigation. Currently defending individual and class action complaints involving medical monitoring and property damages claims in New York, New Hampshire and Vermont.
- Duke University, B.A., Political Science, 2012
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 2017, summa cum laude, Jessup International Moot Court Society, Staff Editor of the Temple Law Review, Order of the Coif, Beasley Scholar, Rubin Public Interest Law Honor Society
- New York