Matthew R. Hays, a partner in Dechert's global finance practice, focuses his practice on structured finance transactions. Mr. Hays leads Dechert’s Asset Finance & Securitization team and serves as a leader on the firm’s LIBOR Transition Taskforce. Mr. Hays has considerable experience with matters across a broad range of asset classes relating to structured finance transactions, warehouse facilities, asset sale and forward flow transactions, as well as public and private securitization transactions. He represents clients in numerous industries such as automotive finance, banking, technology and manufacturing.
Mr. Hays is recognized as a 2020 Rising Star by Private Debt Investor. Mr. Hays is also recognized for fintech and structured finance by The Legal 500 US. Mr. Hays regularly provides insight on issues related to LIBOR transition and issues affecting the Fintech and marketplace lending industry at conferences around the country, including ABS East, LendIt Fintech USA, SFA Vegas and Lend360. Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Hays was a corporate partner at a large global law firm.
- Affirm, Inc., Avant, Inc., Carvana Co., BFS Capital, Inc., Enova International, Inc. and loanDepot.com, LLC in connection with bank partnership arrangements; whole loan sale and forward flow programs;144A securitization transactions; and warehouse and term financing facilities.
- Fund managers in connection with loan purchases and financing facilities related to loans originated on platforms sponsored by Lending Club, SoFi, Freedom Plus, Square, CommonBond, Funding Circle U.S., Funding Circle U.K., Upstart and others.
- Multiple ABS offerings, whole loan sales, forward flow arrangements and warehouse facilities representing banks and finance companies such as Ally Financial Inc., Ally Bank, CarMax Business Services, LLC, Bank of the West and World Omni Financial Corp., backed by pools of retail auto loans, subprime auto loans, dealer floorplan loans, and vehicle leases.
- Issuers, sponsors and fund managers in ABS offerings and warehouse facilities involving cellular sites, distributed antenna systems, personal installment loans, and solar panel loans and leases.
- Sellers in whole loan sales and forward flow arrangements involving charged-off credit card receivables, health care receivables, and point of sale loans.
- Mortgage originators and sellers in connection with multiple mortgage repurchase facilities.
- The ad hoc committee of term loan holders for Walter Investment Management Corp. in connection with its Chapter 11 restructuring of US$2.1 billion of indebtedness.
- S. C. Johnson & Son, Inc. in its €245 million acquisition of Sara Lee Corporation's global shoe care business.
- The Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Expedia.com in connection with the spin-off of TripAdvisor, Inc.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- Boston College, B.S., 2005, magna cum laude, Beta Gamma Sigma Business Honor Society, Alpha Sigma Nu Jesuit Honor Society, Omicron Delta Epsilon Economics Honor Society
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 2008, Notre Dame Law Review Production Editor, John Bruce Dodds Memorial Fellowship, cum laude