Adam Kidane is an associate in Dechert’s antitrust/competition group. He focuses his practice on EU and UK competition law, including merger control, cartel investigations and antitrust compliance. He also regularly provides national security guidance to clients whose transactions may require foreign direct investment (FDI) review in the EU and the UK. Mr. Kidane has significant experience advising multinational companies and private equity funds on the merger control aspects of cross-border mergers and acquisitions, and restructurings across a broad range of industries including financial services, fast-moving consumer goods, packaging, pharmaceuticals and software. He has also represented leniency applicants in cartel proceedings before the European Commission.
Recognized by The Legal 500 as a key lawyer in the EU and Global Competition section, Mr. Kidane is noted as having “outstanding knowledge in competition law, especially merger control” and is “THE go to address especially for tailor made advice. Very responsive and always a pleasure to work with.”
Mr. Kidane regularly publishes on a broad range of competition law matters and is a three-time nominee for Concurrences’ Antitrust Writing Awards. He has developed a strong interest in the interaction between competition policy and other areas of regulatory policy such as financial services, foreign direct investment controls, and intellectual property.
Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Kidane served as an associate at other international law firms.
- Cerus Endovascular Limited in its sale to Stryker Corporation.
- Crown Holdings in the European Commission’s (EC) investigation of the metal packaging sector.
- Court Square Capital Partners in its sale of Getaroom to Booking Holdings Inc. for US$1.2 billion.
- Mid Europa Partners in connection with its acquisition of UAB Pigu and on the combination of Pigu and Hobby Hall Group OÜ.
- Coveris Holdings S.A. (a portfolio company of Sun Capital Partners), on a €700 million sale of its Global Rigid packaging business to Lindsay Goldberg LLC.
- Monsanto in its merger with Bayer
- Lafarge in construction materials joint venture with Anglo American.
- Molson Coors in its acquisition of StarBev.
- Strategic Value Partners in the restructuring of the Kloeckner Pentaplast Group.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb in its acquisition of Amylin Pharmaceuticals.
- Avis Budget Group in its acquisition of Zipcar.
- 3G Capital in its joint acquisition with Berkshire Hathaway of H.J. Heinz.
- The Carlyle Group in its acquisition of the Industrial Packaging Group.
- Bain Capital and Advent International Corporation in their joint acquisition of Nets Holding.
- Centerbridge Partners in the restructuring of APCOA Parking Holdings.
- KKR & Co and Riverstone Holdings in the formation of their natural gas and crude oil joint venture, Trinity River Energy.
- Vista Equity Partners in its acquisition of TIBCO Software.
- Danaher Corporation in its acquisition of Pall Corporation.
- Accenture in its sale of Navitaire to Amadeus.
- Sycamore Partners in its sale of Kurt Geiger to Cinven.
- A leniency applicant in the EU Commission’s TV and computer monitor tubes cartel investigation.
- A leniency applicant in the EU Commission’s consumer detergents cartel investigation.
Industrial Policy and EU Merger Control - finding the right tools – Research Handbook on Global Merger Control (May 16, 2023)
Merger control meets FDI: the multi-stop shop expands – Competition Law & Policy Debate (August 2022)
Common ownership: an EU perspective – Journal of Antitrust Enforcement (March 6, 2020)
EU Merger Control – Chambers & Partners Practice Guide (2018–2020)
When the Chips are Down: EU Seeks to Impose Interim Measures in Broadcom – Competition Law Insight (July 01, 2019)
Two Sides of the Atlantic on Two-Sided Markets – Global Competition Review (October 17, 2018)
Interim Measures: An Overview of EU and National Case Law – Concurrences (June 7, 2018)
Post-Brexit Scenarios for UK Competition Policy and Public Enforcement: The EEA Model v Complete Independence – International Trade Law and Regulation, Issue 4 (2016)
- University of Edinburgh, LL.B. (Hons), 2003
- Nottingham Trent University, Graduate Diploma in Law, 2004
- Oxford Institute of Legal Practice, Legal Practice Course, 2005
- England and Wales