Howard M. Klein
Howard Klein, co-chair of the employee benefits and executive compensation group, advises private and public companies, private equity funds, senior executives and portfolio managers in connection with executive compensation and employee benefits in complex corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, financing arrangements and public offerings. His work includes negotiating, reviewing and drafting transactional documents, supervising due diligence, and advising on compliance with the Internal Revenue Code, ERISA, applicable labor laws, federal securities laws and applicable exchange regulations.
Mr. Klein advises on all aspects of designing, negotiating and drafting equity-based compensation plans (including stock option, restricted stock and phantom equity arrangements), cash bonus plans, employment, consulting, termination, severance and change in control contracts, and restrictive covenant agreements, including non-competition, non-solicitation and confidentiality arrangements. He has considerable experience in representing companies and corporate officers in connection with executive hirings and firings and the implementation of management transition programs.
Mr. Klein also advises clients on the structure, implementation and administration of qualified and non-qualified employee pension programs, welfare plans and similar compensation arrangements. In addition, he counsels senior executives and boards of directors on transactional strategies, and consults management teams and boards of directors regarding executive compensation and change in control arrangements in connection with corporate transactions and reorganizations. Mr. Klein also actively assists clients with corporate governance and compliance matters, securities filings, employee communications and public announcements.
Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Klein was a partner at another global law firm.
- Energy Harbor in connection with its proposed acquisition of Vistra Corp., a leading Fortune 500 integrated retail electricity and power generation company.
- Court Square Capital Partners and its portfolio company, DISA Global Solutions, Inc., in Court Square’s sale of DISA to Audax Private Equity.
- Court Square Capital Partners and its portfolio company, GoEngineer, Inc., in GoEngineer’s acquisition of Computer Aided Technology, Inc.
- One Equity Partners in its agreement to acquire corporate online banking solutions from ACI Worldwide.
- Steppingstone Scholars, on a pro bono basis, in its agreement to merge with Philadelphia Future to create an educational nonprofit powerhouse to benefit city high school students.
- StoneCastle Partners, LLC in the sale of its subsidiary, StoneCastle Cash Insured Sweep, LLC, to Veritex Holdings, Inc., the parent holding company for Veritex Community Bank.
- One Equity Partners in its acquisition of a majority interest in Rosboro, a leading manufacturer of glued laminated timber, from Wynnchurch Capital.
- Quilvest Capital Partners in its acquisition of a majority interest in UrgentMED, a premier network of urgent care clinics in southern California.
- Getaroom, a Court Square Capital portfolio company, in its US$1.2 billion sale to Booking Holdings Inc.
- MiddleGround Capital on a trio of acquisitions involving Lindsay Precast, Plasman Holdings and Arrow Tru-Line.
- GQG Partners on its initial public offering on the Australian Securities Exchange.
- Ridgemont Equity Partners in its acquisition of Agape Care Group, a leading provider of hospice and palliative care.
- Diamonds Direct USA in its US$490 million agreement to be acquired by Signet Jewelers, the world's largest retailer of diamond jewelry.
- One Equity Partners in the sale of premier customer experience partner, ResultsCX, to Fortune 100 and 500 companies worldwide.
- One Equity Partners on its definitive agreement to sell Merfish United, a leading master distributor of tubular building products in the United States, to Reliance Steel & Aluminum Co.
- Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. in a strategic investment in Lighthouse Autism Center.
- H&E Equipment Services, Inc. in the definitive agreement to sell its crane business to a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Manitowoc Company, Inc.
- Court Square Capital Partners in its investment in Connatix, the leading video technology company for premium publishers and advertisers to advance M&A, expand global reach and accelerate product innovation.
- Resource Label Group on its sale to an affiliate of Ares Management Corporation.
- Morgan Stanley Capital Partners in the closing of its investment in US HealthConnect made by investment funds managed by Morgan Stanley Capital Partners.
- Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. in the acquisition by one of its affiliates of National Dentex Labs, the largest network of fully owned dental labs in the United States.
- Ridgemont Equity Partners in the acquisition of Anne Arundel Dermatology Management, a leading provider of medical, surgical and cosmetic dermatological services in the mid-Atlantic and Southeastern regions of the United States.
- MiddleGround Capital in its acquisition of a majority ownership in Dura Automotive Systems from Bardin Hill Investment Partners.
- Starbucks Corporation on its US$7.15 billion global coffee alliance with Nestlé.
- AstraZeneca plc in connection with its acquisition of Acerta Pharma LLC in a transaction valued at approximately US$7 billion.
- Novartis AG in connection with its US$5.3 billion acquisition of the Xiidra dry eye drug business from Takeda Pharmaceutical.
- Henderson Group on its US$6 billion all-stock merger of equals with Janus Capital to form Janus Henderson Global Investors, a leading global active asset manager with AUM of more than US$320 billion.
- KLX on the US$4.2 billion sale of its aviation parts and services business to Boeing and the spinoff of its energy services business.
- CVC Capital Partners in its acquisition of Ontic Engineering and Manufacturing, a leading provider of OEM-licensed parts for legacy aerospace platforms, from BBA Aviation plc in a transaction valued at approximately US$1.365 billion.
- Formula One Group (F1), together with its shareholders including CVC Capital Partners, on the US$8 billion sale of F1 to Liberty Media Corporation.
- Dubai Aerospace Enterprises in its US$2.1 billion sale of StandardAero to an affiliate of Veritas Capital.
- Carlson Inc. in connection with the sale of Carlson Hotels Inc. to HNA Tourism Group in a transaction valued at approximately US$2 billion.
- Covia Holdings Corporation and its parent company, SCR-Sibelco NV, in connection with the US$6 billion acquisition of Fairmount Santrol.
- Japan Tobacco Inc. on its US$5 billion acquisition of the non-US operations of Natural American Spirit from Reynolds American.
- Smiths Group plc in its US$710 million acquisition of Morpho Detection LLC from Safran S.A.
- H.I.G. Capital in its agreement to acquire a 75% stake in Lagardère Sports, a business within the Paris-based media conglomerate Lagardère, in a deal valued at €110 million.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- Fordham Law Review
New YorkThree Bryant Park, 1095 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY, United States of America 10036-6797
- +1 212 649 8740
+1 212 698 3599
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.A., Philosophy, Politics and Law, 1998, summa cum laude
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 2001
- New York
- New Jersey