Michael Mbiti focuses his practice on private equity and mergers and acquisitions, advising domestic and multinational clients on a broad range of venture capital, growth capital, corporate M&A and private equity transactions. Mr. Mbiti has significant experience advising public and private companies in matters relating to private equity, capital markets, structured finance, asset finance, leveraged finance, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and general corporate matters. He has practiced law in Kenya, London and New York.
Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Mbiti was an attorney in the New York office of an international law firm.
- Colony Capital (now DigitalBridge) on the sale of US$535 million portfolio of real estate assets and associated general partner and management rights to Fortress Investment Group LLC.
- Blackstone in its acquisition of CRH Europe Distribution (CRH ED), the third largest building materials distribution platform in continental Europe, from global building materials group CRH plc for an enterprise value of €1.64 billion.
- Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan on the potential acquisition from Wren House Infrastructure of a 40% interest in Viesgo, an electricity generation and distribution company based in Northern Spain.
- Amundi in its acquision from Société Générale of its asset management arm Lyxor for a total cash consideration of €825 million.
- Blackstone and Kirkbi on the £1.1 billion sale of Armacell, a Luxembourg/Germany-based global business manufacturing and distributing insulation and fibre products.
- Actis in its acquisition of a significant stake in the Azuro-Edo IPP in Nigeria and its investment in Azura Power Holdings, a pan-African power generation platform with Amaya Capital.
- Actis on the sale of its 41.1% interest in Alpha Trains.
- AfricInvest, DEG and Proparco in relation to a US$55 million investment in a Kenyan financial services company with subsidiaries in Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Malawi, Mozambique and South Sudan.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- Kenya Law Society
- Kenyatta University, Bachelor’s Degree, Law, 2012, First Class Honors
- Harvard Law School, LL.M., 2016
- University of Oxford, M.Sc., Law and Finance, 2018, High Merit (Distinction in Finance)
- New York