Panos Theodoropoulos focuses his practice on international arbitration, public international law, and EU law. Mr. Theodoropoulos has experience in the mining, construction, energy, banking, telecommunications, and gambling sectors, where he has acted for States and State-owned entities and major corporations in investment and commercial arbitrations conducted under the ICSID, ICC, UNCITRAL, and LCIA Rules. He has also assisted parties with the lodging of applications before the European Court of Human Rights in relation to property rights disputes.
Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Theodoropoulos worked at the Arbitration and Mediation Center of the United Nations’ World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in Geneva, where he assisted in the administration of IP and IT commercial arbitrations and mediations under the WIPO Rules.
- Georgia in an ICSID arbitration commenced by Mr. Nasib Hasanov, under the Georgia-Azerbaijan bilateral investment treaty, in connection with an investment in a Georgian internet service provider that owns a 1,200 km submarine, fiber-optic cable across the Black Sea, connecting Europe and the South Caucasus.
- The Hellenic Republic in ICSID annulment proceedings that followed the arbitration commenced by Cyprus Popular Bank Public Co. Ltd under the Cyprus-Hellenic Republic bilateral investment treaty relating to measures taken to address the Hellenic Republic’s financial and sovereign debt crisis.
- The Plurinational State of Bolivia against a U.S. citizen and the Bolivian company in which he owns a controlling interest in a PCA arbitration under the rules of UNCITRAL arising from a mining concession held by the company in Bolivia.
- The Plurinational State of Bolivia against Glencore (Bermuda) Finance in a PCA arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules arising from the reversion of Bolivia’s largest tin/zinc mine (Colquiri), a tin smelter and an antimony smelter.
- The Czech Republic in an UNCITRAL investment dispute with a company relating to regulation in the gaming sector.
- The Czech Republic in an ICSID investment dispute with a company relating to residential real estate development, and in the ensuing annulment proceedings commenced by the investor.
- An Eastern European State entity in an ICC dispute with a construction company related to the construction of a bridge and related rail and road infrastructure.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- Young ICCA
- Young ICSID
- University of Geneva and The Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, LL.M., International Dispute Settlement (MIDS), 2017, summa cum laude
- National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Faculty of Law, LL.B., 2016, magna cum laude
- *Admitted in Athens only