Stanley Tiu focuses his practice on asset managers and financial services regulation. He advises and represents mutual and hedge fund managers on a range of matters, including the establishment, registration and maintenance of collective investment schemes as well as ancillary issues around their organization, such as on negotiations with service providers, global distribution arrangements and fund manager regulation. A large component of Stanley’s practice involves advising UCITS and other European funds (such as Luxembourg RAIFs) in Hong Kong – he advised on Hong Kong’s first two UCITS to be authorized via the Luxembourg-Hong Kong Mutual Recognition of Funds regime and he advised on the first equity long/short UCITS to be authorized in Hong Kong.
Stanley assists with the maintenance of Dechert’s World Compass, and is a member of the firm’s Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) working group.
Stanley has been recognized as a “Rising Star” for Hong Kong hedge funds and retailed funds in the 2021 edition of IFLR1000.
- Hong Kong’s first UCITS authorized via the Luxembourg-Hong Kong Mutual Recognition of Funds regime, including an equity strategy managed by artificial intelligence.
- A global manager on the SFC authorisation of the first equity long/short UCITS.
- An investor on its dispute with a hedge fund on capital protection terms offered by the investment manager.
- An investor on its dispute with a hedge fund on the redemption of investment capital that has been frozen by the custodian.
- A UK manager on the set up of a global long/short equity strategy commodity index tracking strategy under a UCITS umbrella.
- A Swiss sovereign investment fund on the negotiation of side letter terms in a sustainable investment fund.
- A UK investment manager on the merger of five hedge funds with US$700 million assets under management.
- An asset manager on implementing a data privacy regime for all representative offices across Asia Pacific.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- Hong Kong Investment Funds Association
- Association of the Luxembourg Fund Industry
- University of New South Wales, B. Commerce, LL.B., 2010