Richard A. Goldberg has a broad practice that includes transactional work and the representation of public and private companies. He advises on a broad range of mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance matters. Mr. Goldberg has counseled issuers, private equity firms and investment banks on domestic and international mergers and acquisitions. His transaction experience includes tender offers, proxy contests, joint ventures, exchange offers, going private transactions, spin-offs, and acquisitions and restructuring transactions involving troubled companies, inside and outside of bankruptcy. Mr. Goldberg also has deep experience representing issuers in high yield financings and equity financings. His extensive industry experience includes healthcare, life sciences, technology, structured finance, gaming, real estate and apparel.
Mr. Goldberg is widely published and frequently lectures on topics involving mergers and acquisitions and federal securities laws. He serves as the chair of the Practising Law Institute's program on mergers and acquisitions.
Significant RepresentationsMergers & Acquisitions
- Representation of Dava Pharmaceuticals in its US$600 million sale to Endo Pharmaceuticals.
- Representation of Mesa Group Holdings GmbH in its sale to affiliates of Permira.
- Representation of Tufco Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: TFCO) in its sale to affiliates of Griffon.
- Representation of Inhibitex, Inc. (NASDAQ: INHX) in its US$2.5 billion sale to Bristol-Myers Squibb.
- Representation of Bluefly, Inc. (NASDAQ: BLFY) in its sale to affiliates of Clearlake Capital.
- Representation of The Lightstone Group and Arbor Realty Trust in their US$8 billion acquisition of Extended Stay Hotels from The Blackstone Group.
- Representation of a group of bondholders in the US$600 million acquisition of Greektown Casino in a Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Representation of Steel Partners in the US$300 million recapitalization of indebtedness of its portfolio company, WHX Corporation (NASDAQ: WXCO).
- Representation of Goody’s Family Clothing (NASDAQ:GDYS) in its US$300 million sale to Prentice Capital and GMM Capital Management.
- Representation of Cantor Fitzgerald and eSpeed, Inc (NASDAQ: ESPD) in connection with their formation of a joint venture with Williams Energy, Coral Energy, Dominion Energy, Axia Energy, TXU Energy and Dynegy.
- Representation of Angelo Gordon and Eureka Capital in their acquisition of National Home Health Care (NASDAQ: NHHC).
- Representation of the principal shareholder in connection with the US$500 million sale of ILC Industries, a leading defense industry manufacturer, to Behrman Capital.
- Representation of shareholder group in recapitalization and emergence from bankruptcy of Hawaiian Airlines (NASDAQ: HA).
- Representation of Monster Worldwide (NYSE:MWW) in the 144A offering of US$143.5 million in convertible senior notes.
- Representation of Griffon Corporation (NYSE: GFF) in the 144A offering of US$600 million in senior notes.
- Representation of Portfolio Recovery Associates (NASDAQ: PRAA) in the 144A offering of US$287.5 million in convertible notes.
- Representation of Griffon Corporation (NYSE: GFF) in the 144A offering of US$550 million in senior notes.
- Representation of Greektown Superholdings in the US$385 million 144A offering of senior secured notes.
- Representation of Griffon Corporation (NYSE: GFF) in the 144A offering of US$100 million in convertible notes.
- Representation of Bluefly, Inc. (NASDAQ: BFLY) in a series of convertible note and equity financings by Soros Private Equity Partners, Rho Ventures, Maverick Capital and Prentice Capital.
Queens College, The City University of New York, B.A., 1974
Vermont Law School, J.D., 1978, cum laude, editor of the Vermont Law Review, member of the National Moot Court Team