Stuart T. Steinberg represents clients in class action, corporate, and complex commercial litigation in courts around the country. He focuses on defending corporations and their directors and officers in securities class actions and litigating disputes arising out of M&A transactions. As a former litigator at a large investment management firm, Mr. Steinberg has experience litigating claims involving the mutual fund industry. He has also litigated cases involving hedge funds and private equity funds.
Mr. Steinberg is a contributor to Mutual Fund Litigation and Insurance Guide (LexisNexis, 2013), a book that examines the legal risks faced by the mutual fund industry, the legal bases for potential liability of mutual fund industry participants, and the key precedents from important regulatory enforcement actions and civil litigation against the industry. Mr. Steinberg formerly served on the editorial board of Securities Law360.
Significant RepresentationsSecurities Litigation
- Represent directors and officers of Advanta in multiple investor class actions and related lawsuit by FDIC alleging gross negligence and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented Crown Holdings and directors and officers of Constar International in investor class actions arising out of Constar’s initial public offering.
- Represented officers of Constar International in securities fraud action arising out of Constar’s bankruptcy filing, resulting in dismissal of all claims.
- Represented Safeguard Scientifics in investor class action, resulting in denial of class certification and summary judgment for defendants.
- Represented Mobius Venture Capital in action alleging securities fraud, RICO, and state law tort and contract claims, resulting in dismissal of all claims.
Financial Services Litigation
- Represent Universal American Corp. in lawsuit alleging securities law and indemnification claims arising out of its acquisition of Partners Healthcare Solutions Inc.
- Represented CompuCom Systems in lawsuit alleging fraud and indemnification claims and related purchase price adjustment arbitration arising out of its acquisition of Getronics NV’s North American operations.
- Represented Crown Holdings in lawsuit against Level 3 Communications arising out of acquisition and related tax sharing agreement.
- Represented Strategic Products and Services in purchase price adjustment arbitration arising out of acquisition.
- Represent seller of Brazilian agricultural business in lawsuit and appeals seeking to vacate arbitration award under Federal Arbitration Act.
Complex Commercial Litigation
- Represented investment adviser in class action arising from default of structured investment vehicle.
- Represented co-founder of hedge fund business in ownership dispute.
- Represented Munder Capital Management in lawsuit arising from its appointment as replacement investment adviser to fund, resulting in dismissal of all claims.
- Represented MCAP private equity funds in dispute with junior lender relating to investment in distressed real estate project.
- Represented leading national mutual fund complex in class action challenging redemption practices.
- Represented health care company in lawsuit brought by trade association in connection with dispute over co-branding relationship.
- Represented international packaging company in compensation dispute with officers of former subsidiary that was spun-off in initial public offering.
- Represented real estate investment management firm in class action arising out of the ownership and operation of a golf resort.
The Pennsylvania State University, B.S., Accounting, 1995, with highest distinction
Harvard Law School, J.D., 1998, Magna cum laude
United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania