Tayyibah Arif is counsel in Dechert’s financial restructuring group, advising clients on high-profile restructurings and formal insolvency procedures. Ms. Arif focuses her practice on representing distressed corporates, private equity funds, sponsors, bondholders, financial institutions and insolvency practitioners in domestic and cross-border restructuring matters, including out-of-court restructurings, distressed investing, formal restructuring and insolvency procedures.
Ms. Arif has also advised leading private equity funds and major corporates on a wide range of cross-border and domestic acquisitions, disposals and restructurings, initial public offerings, as well as general corporate and commercial matters.
An active member of the legal community, Ms. Arif is the recipient of the International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation’s (IWIRC) “Be Inspired Award” 2019. She also received the Turnaround Management Association (TMA) “Young Professional Award” 2019, which honors the achievements of an individual working in turnaround and restructuring who demonstrates exceptional performance and career development with less than ten years’ industry service.
Prior to joining Dechert, Ms. Arif trained and practiced at another international law firm. In 2014, she completed a secondment at Advent International.
- The provisional liquidators of Abraaj Investment Management Limited in connection with the worldwide issues involved in the collapse of this major private equity house.
- KKR on various matters.
- The special administrators of MF Global UK Limited following the first-ever filing under the Special Administration Regime.
- The administrators of Arjowiggins in relation to its management buy-out.
- Endeavor Energy in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Advent International on its acquisition of Ammeraal Beltech and various other acquisitions and disposals.
- Access Industries on its takeover offer for Perform Group plc.
- Equiniti on its initial public offering and listing on the London Stock Exchange.
- Volution on its initial public offering and listing on the London Stock Exchange.
- General Electric Corporation on the European aspects of its US$6.9 billion sale of its fleet businesses to Element Financial Corporation and Arval Service Lease S.A.
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board on the acquisition by its portfolio company (Busy Bees) of the Treetops Nurseries Group from Electra Private Equity.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- Steering Committee, IWIRC London
- Chair, TMA NOW Committee
- Member, R3
- Member, INSOL
- Member, ILA
- London School of Economics and Political Science, BSc, Economics, 2009, First Class, winner of the Economics Department Prize 2009
- The College of Law, Graduate Diploma, Law, 2010, Distinction
- The College of Law, Legal Practice Course, 2011, Distinction, winner of the Roger Leyland Prize 2011
- INSOL International, Foundation Certificate in International Insolvency Law, 2020
- England and Wales