Colin Sharpsmith, a partner in Dechert’s financial services practice, advises clients on all areas of financial services regulation, with an emphasis on regulations affecting alternative investment funds, fund managers and investment advisers. Mr. Sharpsmith has a particular focus on rules relating to staff remuneration in financial services companies and was a member of the AIMA working group relating to the FSA’s first remuneration code.
Mr. Sharpsmith has also provided perimeter advice to new entrants to the UK market regarding the potential scope and impact of financial services regulations to their business under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (“FSMA”) and other European regulations, including AIFMD, MiFID II, PRIIPs, MAR and Consumer Credit and Mortgage Credit Regulations.
In addition, he has advised clients on a range of other regulatory matters, including Financial Conduct Authority (“FCA”) control applications; the registration of new funds; fund marketing notifications and requirements; asset stripping rules relating to funds investing in EU companies; new authorizations and variations of permission; and complaints and allegations of rule breaches and regulatory investigations.
- Clearlake Capital Partners in the formation of its US$14.1 billion Clearlake Capital Partners VII.
- Apex Fund Management, a portfolio company of TA Associates and Genstar, on the acquisition of the Maitland fund services business.
- Transformation Capital on the close of US$800 million healthtech fund Transformation Capital III.
- Apex on the c. £1.51 billion recommended all cash acquisition of Sanne Group plc.
- GHO Capital on the closing of GHO Capital III with available commitments in excess of €2 billion.
- Blackstone and the consortium consisting of Scape Living and iQSA on the £969 million recommended cash offer for GCP Student Living plc.
- Blackstone on the c. £1.2 billion recommended cash offer for St Modwen Properties plc.
- Funds managed by Apax Partners on the acquisition of the PIB Group.
- Apex Fund Management, a Genstar portfolio company, on its acquisition of the FundRock Group.
- Tokio Marine HCC on its acquisition of GCube.
- TDR Capital and its portfolio company, Stonegate Pub Company, on the £1.27 billion recommended cash offer for Ei Group.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- Financial Services Lawyers Association
- Royal Holloway, University of London, B.A., History, 2004
- Royal Holloway, University of London, M.A., Medieval History, 2005
- Inns of Court School of Law, Graduate Diploma in Law, 2006
- Inns of Court School of Law, Legal Practice Course, 2007
- England and Wales