Neil A. Steiner
Partner New York Litigation
- Representing operator of skilled nursing homes in governance dispute with joint venture partner over control and management of approximately two dozen facilities on the West Coast.
- Defending directors of a business development company against claims of breach of fiduciary duty arising from the sale of the company.
- Defending biopharmaceutical company in claims relating to ownership of and transfer restrictions on shares.
- Defending private equity firm and its portfolio company against claims by former shareholder seeking to rescind consensual foreclosure.
- Defended portfolio company of private equity firm against claims by former chief financial officer over value of his interests.
- Defended business development company and its manager against claims seeking to enjoin the sale of an investment.
- Defended portfolio company of private equity firm against claims by former chief executive officer alleging that he was fraudulently induced to accept employment and purchase stock.
- Defended founder of healthcare technology company against claims of breach of non-compete covenants by purchaser of business.
- Defended leading video game developer and its founder against claims brought by former executive seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation and equity.
- Represented owner of professional sports franchise in dispute with minority owners.
- Defended several business development companies in shareholder litigation in Delaware, New York and Maryland arising from corporate transactions.
- Represented general counsel of pharmaceutical company in congressional and regulatory investigations and securities litigation.
- Represented private equity fund and two of its founders in connection with the separation of the third co-founder.
- Advised the outside directors of Lehman Brothers in various litigations, investigations and corporate governance matters related to Lehman’s bankruptcy.
- Defending offshore hedge fund in clawback litigation brought by the Madoff SIPC trustee.
- Advised European family office on clawback litigation brought by the Madoff SIPC trustee arising from investments with Madoff made through an offshore feeder fund.
- Defended leading milk processor against interference with contract claims brought by a competitor arising from the supply of milk to Starbucks.
- Defeated competitor’s application for an injunction seeking to prevent milk processor from contracting with Starbucks.
- Defended principals of casino management company in decade-long litigation by lenders claiming interference with lenders’ relationship with Indian tribe on whose reservation casino was located. Obtained summary judgment dismissing all claims and argued appeal, which affirmed dismissal.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of all claims against GlaxoSmithKline and its chief executive officer in the Paxil Securities Litigation (affirmed by the Second Circuit).
- Defended Interactive Brokers in a securities class action alleging misrepresentations in connection with its initial public offering, in which plaintiffs agreed voluntarily to dismiss with prejudice all remaining claims following the Court’s decision dismissing the vast majority of the complaint.
- Defended Monster Worldwide in stock-drop ERISA claims brought by participants in the company’ s 401k plan (Taylor v. McKelvey (SDNY)).
- Defended the alleged controlling shareholder of Friedman’s Jewelers in government investigations, securities class action litigation and bankruptcy litigation.
- Defended Dutch telephone company Royal KPN N.V. in securities litigation arising out of the KPNQwest bankruptcy (In re KPNQwest N.V. Securities Litigation and Appaloosa v. Qwest (SDNY)).
- Defended Royal KPN N.V. in securities litigation arising out of the initial public offering and subsequent bankruptcy of Infonet Services Corp.
- Defended the founding shareholders of 360networks in securities litigation arising out of the initial public offering of 360networks.
- Defended the former chairman of the audit committee of Fannie Mae in securities and derivative actions (In re Fannie Mae Securities, Derivative and ERISA litigation (DDC)).
- Defended the former chief financial officer of U.S. Foodservice (a subsidiary of Royal Ahold) in criminal, SEC and civil securities litigation.
- Represented several employees of Bristol Myers in grand jury and SEC investigations.
- Defended senior executives of computer manufacturer in internal investigation and SEC investigation.
- Represented a UK hedge fund and its traders in an SEC insider trading investigation.
- Dechert Represents Phaidon and Quilvest in Transaction Agreement with Global Investor Consortium Led by Further Global Capital Management - (July 18, 2022)
- Delaware Court of Chancery Finds Tesla’s Acquisition of SolarCity “Entirely Fair” - (May 10, 2022)
- Dechert Advises Griffon in US$845 Million Acquisition of Hunter Fan Company - (December 20, 2021)
- Dechert Advises Quilvest Capital Partners in its Acquisition of Majority Interest in UrgentMED - (December 08, 2021)
- Dechert Advises Ridgemont Equity Partners in its Acquisition of Agape Care Company - (October 19, 2021)
- Dechert Advises Diamonds Direct USA on its US$490 Million Acquisition by Signet Jewelers - (October 12, 2021)
- Dechert Advises OEP and ResultsCX in Sale of ResultsCX - (October 04, 2021)
- Dechert Advises Worldwide Flight Services in its Acquisition of Pinnacle Logistics - (September 24, 2021)
- Dechert Advises Cerberus In Strategic Investment In Lighthouse Autism Center - (July 26, 2021)
- Dechert Advises Resource Label Group on its Sale to Ares - (July 08, 2021)
- SPAC Roundtable - (April 21, 2021)
- Delaware Supreme Court Confirms that Buyer and Sellers Can Allocate the Risk of Non-Intentional Fraud - (March 02, 2021)
- Federal Bar Council Honors Neil Steiner With Thurgood Marshall Pro Bono Award - (January 21, 2021)
- Dechert Advises Harvest Capital Credit Corporation on its Merger into Portman Ridge Finance Corporation - (December 24, 2020)
- Financial Times Recognizes Dechert Lawyers for Innovation in North America - (December 11, 2020)
- Dechert Advises Cerberus on the Acquisition of National Dentex Labs - (October 27, 2020)
- Dechert Advises Court Square in Sale of AHEAD - (September 01, 2020)
- Dechert Leads the Charge on Voting Rights Cases Around the United States - (August 28, 2020)
- Dechert Files Important Voting Rights Lawsuit in Pennsylvania on Behalf of NAACP - (June 18, 2020)
- Dechert Secures Important Voting Rights Victory in Tennessee - (June 05, 2020)
- American Bar Association Honors Neil Steiner with Top Pro Bono Award - (May 20, 2020)
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Business Impact Broadcast Series: Deal Disputes in the Time of COVID-19 - (May 01, 2020)
- Dechert Helps Secure Federal Appeals Court Victory in Kansas Voting Lawsuit - (April 29, 2020)
- COVID-19 Coronavirus: Will Global Pandemic Excuse Contractual Performance? - (March 17, 2020)
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Business Impact - (March 11, 2020)
- Dechert Advises Cerberus and Covis Pharma on Sale of Covis Pharma to Apollo Global Management - (February 06, 2020)
- New York Judge Issues Landmark Ruling Affecting More than a Million New York Voters in Advance of the April 2020 Primary Election - (January 13, 2020)
- Delaware Supreme Court Reverses Dismissal of Caremark Claim, Finding Lack of Board-Level Oversight and Director Independence - (June 28, 2019)
- The Legal 500 US 2019 Recognizes 120 Dechert Lawyers and Practices across 37 Categories - (May 29, 2019)
- Osgood Capital and Cyprium Partners to Acquire Uniloy Blow Molding Business from Milacron - (May 15, 2019)
- Delaware Appraisal Litigation: Supreme Court Clarifies “Fair Value” Standard - (April 29, 2019)
- Morgan Stanley Capital Partners Invests in Clarity Software Solutions - (January 29, 2019)
- Financial Times Ranks Dechert Among the Most Innovative Law Firms in North America - (December 11, 2018)
- Integrated Oncology Network Partners with Silver Oak for Recapitalization - (October 08, 2018)
- Dechert Advises Cerberus and PaxVax on Sale of PaxVax to Emergent BioSolutions - (August 13, 2018)
- The Significance of the Choice of Law Provision in M&A Contracts - (October 30, 2017)
- Griffon Corporation to Acquire ClosetMaid - (September 05, 2017)
- Sterling Investment Partners Completes Sale of Service Logic to Warburg Pincus - (July 31, 2017)
- The Legal 500 US 2017 Recognizes 94 Dechert Lawyers and Practices across 32 Categories - (May 31, 2017)
- PSA Healthcare Completes Merger with Epic Health Services - (March 16, 2017)
- Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts, Fourth Edition - (February 23, 2017)
- Internal Investigations: An Introductory Primer - (October 13, 2016)
- Dechert Named Among Law360’s Pro Bono Firms of the Year for 2016 - (September 09, 2016)
- Dechert Recognized by Financial Times Among Most North American Innovative Law Firms - (December 08, 2015)
- Class Actions and Multidistrict Litigation - (November 05, 2015)
- Basic Written Discovery - (October 20, 2015)
- Pro Bono Firm Of 2015: Dechert - (September 01, 2015)
- The Legal 500 Names Dechert Real Estate Firm of the Year; Recommends 105 Dechert Lawyers Across 27 Practice Categories - (June 11, 2015)
- Dechert Garners Numerous Pro Bono Awards in 2014 - (November 17, 2014)
- Pro Bono Firm Of 2014: Dechert - (October 08, 2014)
- The Legal 500 Names Dechert Mutual Fund Firm of the Year, Recommends 94 Dechert Lawyers and Practice Groups in 20 Categories - (June 26, 2014)
- Dechert’s Securities Litigation Team Recognized by Chambers and The Legal 500 - (June 01, 2014)
- Litigation Team Secures Groundbreaking Victory in Wisconsin Voter ID Case - (April 30, 2014)
- Personal Email at Work: What Expectation of Privacy? - (September 09, 2013)
- The United States Supreme Court Will Review the Scope of Federal Preclusion of State Securities Claims - (January 23, 2013)
- In Arbitration Agreements, Critical Provisions Are Often Overlooked - (November 26, 2012)
- Video: Dechert Pro Bono - A World of Good - (October 16, 2012)
- Pro Bono Firm of 2012: Dechert - (August 24, 2012)
- How the Second Circuit Liberalized Rule 11 Sanctions Availability - (August 20, 2012)
- Dechert Protects Minority, Low-Income Voters’ Rights in Election Year Cases - (July 02, 2012)
- A World of Good - Pro Bono News - (March 29, 2012)
- Voting Rights Groups Sue Georgia for Neglecting Voting Rights of Low-Income Residents - (June 06, 2011)
- A World of Good - Pro Bono News - (February 04, 2010)
- The ‘Upjohn’ Pitfalls of Internal Investigations - (July 13, 2009)
- A World of Good - Pro Bono News - (August 11, 2008)
- Witness for the Defense? Prosecution Claims of ‘Ongoing Investigation’ Make Availability a Tricky Issue - (July 24, 2006)
- Taking a Close Look at Personal Liability of Outside Directors - (August 22, 2005)
- Using Sarbanes-Oxley in Securities Litigation - (April 23, 2003)
- Working Together to Prepare the Best Defense: Recent Setbacks to the Joint Defense Agreement - (August 12, 2002)
- Standing Up to the Head of the Class - (February 11, 2002)
- +1 212 698 3822
+1 212 698 3599
New YorkThree Bryant Park, 1095 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY, United States of America 10036-6797
- +1 212 698 3822
+1 212 698 3599
- Duke University, A.B., 1994, magna cum laude
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1997, magna cum laude
- New York