Overview of the 2016 SIAC Rules
The sixth edition of the arbitration rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) entered into force on 1 August 2016. To mark the occasion we provide this overview of the key features of the new rules.
- The 2016 SIAC Rules will applytodisputes referred to SIAC from 1 August 2016, unless the parties agree otherwise.
- SIAC has retained the structure and much of the content of the 2013 SIAC Rules, while fine-tuning some important provisions and introducing some new innovations.
- Specifically, SIAC has introduced a new procedure for the early dismissal of claims and defences, becoming the first international commercial
arbitral institution to do so.
- SIAC has also introduced new provisions on multi-party and multi-contract disputes to keep pace with similar procedures already offered by competitor institutions.
- The rules on joinder have been developed to allow a non-party to apply to join an existing SIAC arbitration.
- The rules on emergency arbitrators and expedited proceedings, first introduced by SIAC in 2010, have also been developed to facilitate greater efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
Read "Overview of the 2016 SIAC Rules."