Olivia Bernardeau-Paupe advises international clients on intellectual property matters, particularly copyright, trademark, industrial design and unfair competition law. Her practice focuses on complex issues in national and multi-jurisdictional IP litigation. She negotiates intellectual property contracts both for standalone matters and in the context of global deals. Her experience also allows her to assist clients in the strategic management of their intellectual property rights portfolios and their defense, including collaborating with customs authorities.
Ms. Bernardeau-Paupe advises international clients from a wide range of industries, such as consumer goods, luxury goods (fashion and cosmetics), electronics (hardware and software), audio-visual, publishing, e-commerce, automotive and finance. She also actively represents clients in the life sciences sector, including the pharmaceutical and medical device industries.
Olivia Bernardeau-Paupe is recognized as a leading lawyer in trademark & copyright by Chambers Global 2024, as well as a leading trademark practitioner in World Trademark Review’s WTR 1000 2024 edition.
Ms. Bernardeau-Paupe is an active member of the legal community, teaching trademark law as it relates to the internet as part of the DU Digital Technologies as well as trademark law for the LL.M. International Business Law courses at the University of Panthéon-Assas. She regularly writes articles, particularly on customs for Communication Commerce électronique, where she has been a contributor since 2016. She has also been a frequent contributor to the French copyright law chapter in Lexology’s Getting the Deal Through, as well as its chapter on French regulations regarding luxury and fashion in 2021 and 2022.
- A leading U.S. life sciences company in a major multi-jurisdictional dispute over the use of trademarks on the internet against one of its direct competitors.
- A major German manufacturer of medical implants in multi-jurisdictional litigation involving the infringement of its trademark rights, including non-traditional trademarks, on its flagship product.
- A U.S. company in the medical device sector in the defense of its intellectual property rights in the European Union before the launch of a major new product.
- A major fast-food group based in the United States in the defense of its intellectual property rights, particularly in relation to litigation for trademark infringement and parasitism.
- A leading American luxury cosmetics group on the availability and defense of its intellectual property rights, including various litigation matters to secure recognition of the reputation of some of its major trademarks in France and the prohibition of the use of secondary signs.
- A leading video game company in the defense of its rights in litigation initiated by copyright holders alleging infringement.
- A leading American IT company in advising on the availability of trademark rights, as well as in litigation defending its trademark and copyright rights.
- Clients across various industry sectors (luxury, consumer goods, electronics) before customs authorities to stop the importation of counterfeit products.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm
- “Recommended Individual” – Silver – France – WTR 1000 2024
- Rising Stars – France – Intellectual Property: Trademarks and Designs – The Legal 500 EMEA 2023
- Industry Focus: Luxury Goods – France – The Legal 500 EMEA 2023
- APRAM (Association Française des Praticiens du Droit des Marques et des Modèles)
- AAPI (Association des Avocats en Propriété Industrielle)
- AIPPI (Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle)
- INTA (International Trademark Association)
- Nice Sophia Antipolis University School of Law, Master’s Degree, French Dispute Resolution, 1995
- Nice Sophia Antipolis University, Master’s Degree, International Law, 1996
- Hofstra University School of Law, Certificate, Comparative and American Law, 1997
- The George Washington University Law School, LL.M., Patent and Intellectual Property Law, 1999
- New York