Alon M. Goldberger
Alon M. Goldberger is a partner in Dechert’s global finance practice. Mr. Goldberger focuses on complex finance transactions, representing agents, lenders, public and private borrowers, private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies, business development companies and other providers (bank and non-bank) of senior and subordinated debt financing.
Mr. Goldberger’s experience includes advising on first and second lien revolving and term loan credit facilities, asset-based and cash-flow based lending, acquisition financing, unitranche credit facilities, refinancings, recapitalizations and both in-court and out-of-court restructurings. He has extensive experience acting for clients across business structures and industries, including banking, retail, energy, hospitality, entertainment and technology.
Mr. Goldberger is consistently recognized by legal publications for his finance practice. He is recommended by The Legal 500 United States and was named a “Rising Star” in IFLR1000’s 2019 Americas edition for financial and corporate law. Most recently, Mr. Goldberger was recognized for banking and finance law in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and was also a lead member of the team which won IFLR1000's 2020 “Deal of the Year: Banking and Finance” for Pacific Gas and Electric Company’s US$5.5 billion debtor-in-possession financing.
Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Goldberger was a partner at another international law firm.
- A manufacturer of sports apparel, as borrower, in connection with its ABL and Term Loan credit facilities.
- A manufacturer of in-store marketing displays for the cosmetics industry in connection with its ABL and term loan credit facilities.
- The lead arranger and administrative agent in the US$5.5 billion senior-secured super-priority debtor-in-possession credit facilities to PG&E Corporation and Pacific Gas and Electric Company in connection with their bankruptcy cases.
- The administrative agent and collateral agent in connection with a term loan exit credit facility to Premier Brands Group Holdings LLC (formerly Nine West Holdings, Inc.).
- Lenders in connection with a term loan credit facility and a revolving credit facility to Hovnanian Enterprises, Inc. and its subsidiaries.
- Lenders in connection with a US$650 million Term Loan A-1 facility to Diebold Nixdorf, Incorporated.
- Lenders in the DIP and exit term loan facilities in connection with the bankruptcy cases of Motorsports Aftermarket Group, Inc. and its affiliates.
- Noteholders in connection with the issuance of senior secured notes by TPC Group Inc.
- The administrative agent and an ad hoc group of first lien lenders in connection with an out-of-court restructuring of the first and second lien indebtedness of a leading provider of online learning programs.
- Lenders providing a priming credit facility to Bioscrip, Inc.
- A provider of marketing strategy and direct mail services, as borrower, in connection with its asset-based and term loan credit facilities.
- A lender in connection with its participation in a US$375 million “first-in, last-out” credit facility to Sears Canada.
- A private equity fund in acquisition financing related to its acquisition of a leading, independent provider of high-pressure pasteurization, cold storage and other value-added services to food and beverage manufacturers.
- Lenders in a first lien credit facility to Boardriders Inc. and its subsidiaries.
- Holders in connection with multiple note issuances by Carlson Wagonlit Travel Inc., including in connection with its exit from Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Noteholders in connection with the issuance of senior secured notes by Salem Media.
- The administrative agent in connection with a unitranche credit facility to finance the acquisition of a customer acquisition marketing business focused on the U.S. insurance industry.
- A business development company in its participation as a lender in a senior secured unitranche credit facility to a manufacturer, packager and marketer of nutritional products.
- The administrative agent and collateral agent in connection with a second lien credit facility to finance the acquisition of a leading software platform developer for the advertising industry.
- The administrative agent and collateral agent in connection with a second lien credit facility to finance the acquisition of a leading SSL certificate provider.
- A business development company as agent and lender in its provision of subordinated debt to a leading provider of factoring services to large and small businesses.
- A business development company as agent and lender in its provision of senior secured indebtedness to a provider of OB/GYN hospitalist services in over 100 hospitals in 26 states.
- A business development company in its last out participation as a lender in a credit facility to an operator of fitness facilities throughout Connecticut.
- The senior noteholders of a bankrupt provider of business communications solutions in the negotiation of DIP and exit credit facilities.
- A chapter 11 debtor in the direct marketing industry in the negotiation of an exit credit facility with its senior lenders.
- One of the largest natural soda ash producers in the world in connection with its credit facilities, including a credit facility in connection with the initial public offering of its parent, a publicly traded master limited partnership.
- A private equity sponsor in the financing of its acquisition of a leading provider of laundry and linen services in the southeast region of the United States.
- A publicly listed specialty acquisition company in the financing of its acquisition of two providers of payment, and debit and credit card processing services.
- The second lien administrative agent, collateral agent and lenders in the workout of its loans to a designer of teaching and classroom technology.
- A private equity fund in a proposed acquisition of an auto parts dealer pursuant to Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- The administrative agent and collateral agent in the negotiation of a forbearance agreement and a consensual foreclosure of assets and stock of a provider of furnished temporary executive apartments.
- A private equity fund in its first and second lien credit facilities in connection with its acquisition of a U.S. airline which operates flights between Florida, the Bahamas, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington, D.C. and West Virginia.
- A commercial bank in connection with its participation as a first out lender in numerous unitranche financings and in negotiating the applicable credit documents, including agreements among lenders.
- A private equity owned provider of strategic solutions to the oil and gas industry in its asset-based credit facility.
- A leading North American provider of environmental services to commercial and government entities, in acquisition financing related to its acquisition of another company in the same industry.
- A specialty lender in its provision of mezzanine financing to a retailer of men’s and women’s clothing, jewelry, footwear and gifts.
- A financial institution as arranger, agent and lender in connection with financings to various business development companies, consisting of senior-secured bridge loan credit facilities (in connection with their initial public offering), senior-secured revolving credit facilities and senior-secured term loan facilities.
- Numerous business development companies in their asset-based revolving credit facilities to finance their ongoing portfolio investments.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- Banking and Finance Law – The Best Lawyers in America 2021
- Deal of the Year: Banking and Finance – IFLR1000 United States Awards 2020
- Rising Star, Financial and Corporate Law – IFLR1000 Americas 2019
- Restructuring (Including Bankruptcy): Corporate – The Legal 500 United States
- Direct Lending Terms and Documentation: Leverage Covenants, Incremental Financing, Guaranty Provisions – Strafford Webinar (May 6, 2021)
PhiladelphiaCira Centre, 2929 Arch Street, Philadelphia, PA, United States of America 19104-2808
- +1 215 994 2080
+1 215 994 2222
- Touro College, B.S., 2004
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University, J.D., 2007
- New York