- Representation of a major pharmaceutical company in an MDL and state-court litigation involving the claim that an H2 receptor antagonist caused patients to develop cancer. Mr. Sachse is a Court-appointed member of the Defense Steering Committee in the MDL.
- Representation of Purdue Pharma in significant state and federal litigation by thousands of state Attorneys General, municipal government plaintiffs, hospitals, third-party payors, and others arising from the company’s marketing and promotion of prescription opioid medications. Mr. Sachse briefed and argued dispositive motions in courts around the country. He won complete dismissal of public nuisance and consumer-fraud claims brought by the Attorney General of North Dakota. This was the first Attorney General case in the country dismissed at the motion to dismiss phase, and the decision received nationwide coverage. Mr. Sachse also served as Court-appointed co-lead defense counsel in the Pennsylvania consolidated opioid proceedings.
- Representation of Johnson & Johnson as lead appellate counsel in Pennsylvania cases claiming personal injury from use of Risperdal, a prescription atypical antipsychotic medication. After one trial resulted in an unconstitutional $8 billion punitive-damages verdict, Mr. Sachse’s successful post-trial argument convinced the trial judge to remit the verdict to $6.8 million.
- Representation of a major pharmaceutical company in Pennsylvania state-court jury trials resulting in defense verdicts for the manufacturer of a prescription anticoagulant medication.
- Representation of AbbVie in an MDL and state-court litigation related to prescription testosterone replacement therapy.
- Lead counsel for a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in personal-injury cases involving the claim that prescription anticoagulant caused patients to develop severe thrombocytopenia, resulting in amputations.
- Representation of two major pharmaceutical manufacturers in personal-injury cases involving claim that prescription antiemetic caused patients to develop movement disorders. As lead counsel for one of the manufacturers, Mr. Sachse negotiated the favorable resolution of all claims nationwide for a nominal amount.
- Representation of a major pharmaceutical company faced with “economic damage” consumer fraud and RICO claims brought by putative classes of consumers and third-party payors. Mr. Sachse was a key member of the settlement team that negotiated the favorable resolution of all claims.
- Representation of a class of incarcerated women who alleged disparate treatment at Berks County Jail. Mr. Sachse served as trial counsel with co-counsel Pennsylvania Institutional Law Project, and the team won a jury verdict and fee award.
- Representation of a putative class of incarcerated persons at risk of developing COVID in Connecticut State corrections facilities. Served as co-lead counsel with ACLU of Connecticut. Mr. Sachse and the team negotiated a favorable resolution that provided additional health protections to Connecticut incarcerated persons.
- Representation of immigrants at risk of developing COVID in Pennsylvania detention centers. Along with co-counsel ACLU, Mr. Sachse secured release for his clients.
- Representation in habeas appeal of an incarcerated person sentenced to life in prison for robbery homicide. Mr. Sachse successfully argued that the lower court should have considered an ineffective assistance of counsel claim and secured a new trial for the client on remand.
- Representation of City of Philadelphia in “Sanctuary Cities” litigation.
- Representation in habeas proceedings of a person incarcerated on Louisiana’s death row.
- Author of amicus curiae briefs on a range of civil liberties issues, including assessment of criminal fines, DNA seizure, free speech, and religious freedom.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- LexisNexis Practice Guide, Pennsylvania Civil Pre-Trial Practice (chapter author and member of editorial board)
- LexisNexis Practice Guide, Pennsylvania Civil Trial Practice (chapter author and member of editorial board)
- LexisNexis Practice Guide, Pennsylvania Civil Discovery (chapter author and member of editorial board)
- Ohlbaum on the Pennsylvania Rules of Evidence (member of editorial board)
- Contributor, Practical Law: Pennsylvania
- U.S. Supreme Court: 2017-2018 Preview — ACC Greater Philadelphia Litigation Law CLE Institute, Philadelphia, PA (June 13, 2017)
- Board Member, Philadelphia Bar Foundation and Equal Justice Center
- Board Member, ArtWell
- Board Member, Orchestra 2001
- Barrister, Temple Inn of Court
- Core 2018 Fellow, Leadership Philadelphia
- +1 215 994 2496
+1 215 994 2222
PhiladelphiaCira Centre, 2929 Arch Street, Philadelphia, PA, United States of America 19104-2808
- +1 215 994 2496
+1 215 994 2222
- Ithaca College, B.S., 1994
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 1999, magna cum laude, research editor of the Temple Law Review
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania