We Develop Your Career and Support Your Legal Training
At Dechert, we want you to thrive and become an integral part of our collaborative team. You are exposed to a broad range of experiences as early as possible in your career. But we don't just throw you in at the deep end. You get the opportunity to work closely with senior lawyers and you watch, listen and learn from them.
Dechert is committed to supporting and developing our talent. Our comprehensive talent management approach is widely recognized as best-in-class and helps our associates realize their full potential.
Our Professional Development team works closely with our Diversity and Inclusion team to ensure that all associates are supported, mentored and have development opportunities. Our Critical Skills Framework guides how we recruit, train, develop and promote our attorneys. It clearly articulates specific standards and benchmarks for our associates, which help them as they progress. Our in-house career development coach is another resource that our lawyers can take advantage of developing their careers.
We provide the training, opportunities and guidance that allow you to develop into an effective lawyer and leader.
- Challenging and interesting work.
- A firmwide orientation program that encourages new associates across global offices to get to know one another and learn how we manage the firm.
- Core competency training through our Critical Skills Institute which focuses on leadership, communication, client relations and management skills.
- Practice group training in substantive law.
- Benchmarks which clearly articulate expectations and an advancement system that allows you to progress at your own pace.
- An opportunity to hone your oral communication skills and meet associates across offices and practices by joining Dechert Speaker's Society.
- Formal and informal feedback from the lawyers with whom you work.
- An anonymous and confidential upward feedback program where you evaluate the mentoring and training you receive from partners and senior associates.
- Firmwide quarterly meetings with our CEO that will give you a better understanding of the business of the firm and recent significant developments.
- An in-house Career Development Coach who can work with you confidentially to support your professional development and quality-of-life goals.
- An opportunity to have your say and vote for exceptional teachers in your practice group. Read about our exceptional teachers program and our 2017 Exceptional Teacher Award Winners.
- Shadowing hours where you can shadow more experienced lawyers at the firm.
- Formal and informal mentorship and training programs.