Charles Hsu is an associate practicing intellectual property law with a primary focus on patent litigation. Mr. Hsu represents technology and pharmaceutical companies in IP litigation lawsuits, as both plaintiffs and defendants. He has been involved in a broad spectrum of cases involving the life science and electrical engineering fields, including areas such as antibodies, peptides, biologics, small-molecule therapeutics, medical devices, and telecommunications. Mr. Hsu’s experience spans all stages of litigation in both the District Courts and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), including pre-suit investigation, fact and expert discovery, Markman, trial, and appeal. Mr. Hsu has also demonstrated his oral advocacy skills by presenting arguments at Markman and before the PTAB. Mr. Hsu maintains an active pro bono practice at Dechert, which includes representation in immigration, employment, and intellectual property matters.
Mr. Hsu earned his Juris Doctor from Berkeley Law School in 2019, where he was an Associate Editor of the California Law Review. While in law school, Mr. Hsu also advised start-up companies on intellectual property matters, including drafting patent applications and conducting freedom to operate analysis for a biotechnology company.
- Kymera Therapeutics, Inc. v. Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Inc., PGR2021-00115 (PTAB). Represented Petitioner Kymera in a Post-Grant Review proceeding relating to targeted protein degradation technology.
- Givaudan SA v. Conagen Inc. et al. (S.D.N.Y.); Phyto Tech Corp. v. Givaudan SA (S.D.N.Y.); Phyto Tech Corp. v. Chen et al. (N.Y. Sup. Ct.); BGN Tech LLC v. Conagen Inc. et al. (Cal. Super. Ct.). Representing a series of synthetic biology companies in trade secret litigation and related IP licensing and contractual disputes against Givaudan SA concerning pioneering patented bioscience technologies in the flavor & fragrance industry.
- IPCom Gmbh & Co. KG v. AT&T Inc. et al. (E.D. Tex.). Representing IPCom in multiple patent infringement suits involving six patents relating to 3G, 4G, and 5G telecommunications systems. Pending.
- Lenovo et al. v. IPCom GmbH & Co. KG (N.D. Cal.). Representing IPCom in a declaratory judgment patent infringement lawsuit involving patents relating to cell phones. Pending.
- Music Choice v. Stingray Digital Inc., et al. (E.D. Tex.). Represented Music Choice in patent infringement and contract suits, and related Inter Partes review proceedings, regarding media-on-demand technology. Settled.
- Representing a solo inventor on a pro bono basis in patent prosecution before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Pending.
- Representing minors seeking asylum and juvenile immigration status on a pro bono basis. Pending.
- Represented a plaintiff on a pro bono basis in a Title VII employment discrimination lawsuit against the U.S. Government.
- Provided intellectual property counseling for a non-profit charter school on a pro-bono basis.
- Dechert IP Litigation Team Victory - (July 18, 2022)
- Discovery Without Borders - (July 20, 2020)
- University of California, Santa Cruz, B.S., B.A., Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology; Economics, 2014
- University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, J.D., 2019, Associate Editor, California Law Review, Law and Technology Certificate
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States Patent and Trademark Office