Matthias Kerbusch is a partner in Dechert’s financial services group, representing international and domestic clients on the formation and restructuring of a wide range of Luxembourg-based investment funds. Mr. Kerbusch is particularly experienced advising on domiciled open and closed-ended alternative investment funds, including SIFs and SICARs as well as Part II Funds for regulated vehicles and RAIFs and other AIF structures for unregulated Luxembourg structures. He also advices on UCITS structures.
Mr. Kerbusch’s clients include funds and institutions from the private equity, venture capital, private debt, real estate, banking and infrastructure industries, as well as alternative asset classes. He regularly drafts and amends fund constitutive documents (such as prospectuses and LPAs), in addition to providing advice regarding the regulatory implications of structuring funds. He is also experienced in advising on “end-of-term” re-structuring solutions and secondaries fund transactions.
- A Chinese bank on its first Luxembourg fund product and ongoing advice on their successor fund.
- A U.S. debt fund promoter on its first Luxembourg fund vehicle and conversion of it into a RAIF.
- Several German institutional investors (Pensionskassen, Versorgungswerke) on the establishment of their fund vehicles in Luxembourg and the conversion of specific structures from FCPs into corporate entities.
- Several Luxembourg AIFM entities on both day-to-day legal advice and initial approval and licensing processes.
- Advice on setting up one of the first alternative asset funds for retail investors as a Part II Fund in Luxembourg.
- A German venture capital entity on its Luxembourg flagship fund (evergreen structure with carried interest so very unique structuring work for VC fund).
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm
- University College London, B.A., Political Science and Government, 2008
- Science Po Paris and The London School of Economics and Political Science, Double Master’s Degree, European Politics, 2010
- University of Saarland, LL.M., European and International Law, 2012
- University of Luxembourg, LL.M., Master en Droit et Contentieux de l’Union Européenne, 2020