Global Excellence in Financial Services
Dechert’s multilingual lawyers in Luxembourg combine profound legal knowledge with practical commercial judgment. We provide local and multinational clients with legal representation of the highest quality.
Our Luxembourg practice is widely recognized by market sources for its expert service provision in the investment funds, banking and finance, and corporate and M&A categories.
The team also forms part of a global financial services practice that spans investment hubs in Asia, Europe and the United States.
Deep expertise has made us industry leaders in the investment funds space. Dechert is the only law firm with offices in the European Union’s four leading centers for international investment funds — Dublin, Frankfurt, London and Luxembourg — and also maintains a presence in jurisdictions important to investors such as Russia and the United States.
Multilingual Service Provision
Our Luxembourg lawyers are admitted to the Luxembourg Bar Association. Well adapted to the multicultural needs of a strategic European investment hub, we are adept at doing business in English, French, German, Italian, Luxembourgish and Spanish.
We provide high-quality advice on:
- Formation and restructuring of AIFs (regulated and non-regulated, including RAIFs and special limited partnerships) investing in any type of assets, including private equity, private debt, real estate and infrastructure.
- Formation and restructuring of Luxembourg UCITS, including advising on distribution.
- Establishment and ongoing regulatoy advice to management companies, AIFMs (including EuVECA managers), MiFID investment firms and other professionals in the financial sector.
- Marketing, registration and on-going compliance for foreign UCITS and AIFs in Luxembourg.
- Due diligence for investors when investing into Luxembourg UCITS or Luxembourg AIFs.
- Any type of corporate transaction relating to the formation of AIFs, including negotiation of shareholders’ agreements, legal opinions, side letters and legal due diligence on target companies.
- Transactional work, including advising on financing transactions, loan agreements and security packages in the downstream of AIFs.
We provide advice on the eligibility, registration and distribution of investments for all types of retail, restricted and private Luxembourg investment vehicles.
Advising local and multinational clients on the corporate law aspects of their operations constitutes a critical component of our practice in Luxembourg. Client companies seek us out when planning or implementing major corporate and financial transactions such as:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Public offerings
- Private placements
- Private equity
Our dynamic, client-focused team devises creative ways to utilize local corporate structures. We are adept at establishing all types of Luxembourg companies, setting up professionals in the financial sector, and securing listings on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange for any eligible security issued by a company or investment fund.
Working closely with corporate, tax, real estate, restructuring, regulatory and litigation lawyers in other Dechert offices, we provide clients with full service on all aspects of a transaction. Moreover, our proven ability to manage large, multi-jurisdictional transactions makes Dechert a powerful choice on transactions requiring sophisticated, top-flight experience.
The Luxembourg office also forms part of Dechert’s European Banking, Finance and Restructuring team, which creates innovative strategies for market makers in all areas of finance including:
- Structured finance and securitization
- Real estate finance and restructuring
- Asset sales and investment
The group operates a geographically transparent practice, handling cross-border transactions as easily as domestic transactions. Drawing on extensive, hands-on experience and working closely with colleagues around the world, we deploy resources effectively and efficiently to achieve our clients’ business objectives wherever they lie.
Possessing a thorough understanding of global capital markets, our lawyers help shape the financial services industry by means of close contact with regulators and involvement in industry associations.
Clients turn to Dechert’s experienced tax team in Luxembourg for assistance with addressing their tax planning needs and resolving tax controversies, be it for transactions or for structuring of investment funds or corporate vehicles in general. Always mindful of our clients’ business objectives, we provide advice on structures so as to maximize tax benefits and minimize tax liability. With lawyers in the United States and Europe, Dechert is positioned to counsel clients on effective international tax planning strategies and provide integrated, global tax advice.
Dechert (Luxembourg) LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England & Wales (Registered No. OC391300) regulated in Luxembourg by the Luxembourg Bar and authorised and regulated in England & Wales by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, and registered with the Luxembourg Bar. A list of the names of the members of Dechert (Luxembourg) LLP (who are solicitors or registered European lawyers) is available for inspection at our Luxembourg office at 1, Allée Scheffer, B.P. 709, L-2017 Luxembourg, and at our registered office at 160 Queen Victoria Street, London, EC4V 4QQ, UK.