Sam Kay is a partner in Dechert’s financial services group, advising on a wide range of investment funds matters. With a career spanning over two decades, Mr. Kay has a particular focus on fund formation, representing private funds and asset managers throughout the private equity, private debt/credit, infrastructure and real estate industries.
Mr. Kay advises GPs on complex transactions such as continuation funds, tender offers and strip sales and has deep experience advising clients on matters of strategic significance such as GP-stake sales, internal restructurings for succession planning, management spin-outs and complex carried interest arrangements.
In addition to GP-focused work, Mr. Kay advises institutional investors, funds-of-funds and asset allocators in connection with their participation in funds, as well as LP-led secondary activity from single assets to large portfolio sales.
Recognized by Chambers UK and The Legal 500 UK for private equity investment funds, clients describe Mr. Kay as a “cerebral lawyer who provides excellent advice” who is “client-led, super commercial and well versed in all aspects of fund formation and regulation.” He is also regularly recommended by Who’s Who Legal as a “Global Leader” for private fund formation and highlighted as “Highly Regarded” by IFLR1000. In addition, RealDeals named him one of the "Top 20 Most Influential" in private equity in 2022.
Mr. Kay is an active contributor to key legal publications, including Unquote, Private Funds Management, Private Equity International and Chambers’ Investment Funds 2023 guide. He also regularly speaks at industry events such as Invest Europe and SuperInvestor.
- Abris Capital Partners on the €500 million fundraising of its private equity fund, Abris CEE Mid-Market Fund III LP.
- Hermes GPE on the fundraising of its private equity co-investment fund, Hermes GPE PEC V LP.
- Benson Elliot on its €800 million fundraising for Benson Elliot Real Estate Partners V, a European-focused PERE fund.
- Medicxi, a leading European life sciences venture and growth GP, on the US$400 million fundraising of its flagship fund, Medicxi III LP.
- Elysian Capital LLP on the £325 million fundraising of its third vintage UK-focused private equity fund, Elysian Capital III LP.
- Melior Equity Partners, on the fundraising of Ireland-focused private equity fund, Melior Equity Partners II SCSp.
- Bluegem Capital Partners on the €340 million fundraise of its private equity fund targeting European consumer brand companies, Bluegem III SCSp.
- Social and Sustainable Capital (SASC), a social enterprise fund manager, on the fundraise of Social and Sustainable Housing Fund.
- VenCap on the successful fundraising of its latest VC-focused fund-of-funds, VenCap 16.
- Abris Capital Partners on a GP-led tender offer backed by two large institutional investors.
- Medicxi on a €200 million GP-led multi-asset continuation fund.
- Hermes GPE on the GP-led secondary of a US$1 billion portfolio of private equity fund-of-funds assets.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- Investment Funds: Private Equity – UK-wide – Chambers UK
- London – Investment Fund Formation and Management – Private Funds – The Legal 500 UK
- Highly Regarded – IFLR1000
- Global Leader – Private Funds – Formation – Who’s Who Legal
- University of Oxford, B.A., 1996
- England and Wales