Thomas Kim focuses his practice on advising private equity, venture capital and other alternative fund managers on the structuring, establishment and marketing of investment funds, as well as related European regulatory issues. He has significant experience advising sovereign wealth funds, multilateral development banks and other institutional investors on their private fund investments. Thomas also regularly counsels clients on secondary transactions, mergers and acquisitions of fund management businesses, co-investments and carried interest structuring.
Thomas was recently recommended by the latest edition of The Legal 500 Asia Pacific for his work in “Singapore: Investment Funds: Foreign Firms”, and noting that he is ‘organised, responsive and commercial’ as well as he ‘reflects the characteristics you want from a top-notch external counsel. He is vested to look out for his client’s interest, and able to articulate his arguments clearly. He goes beyond the call of duty to drive the legal workstream during a short-fused deal. Intelligent, driven and integrity’.
Prior to joining Dechert, Thomas was based in the London office of another US law firm, during which he completed a secondment in the corporate legal department of a large institutional asset manager and compliance department of a hedge fund. In his previous career, Thomas was a lieutenant in the Singapore Navy, during which he served as legal advisor and flag aide to a naval counter-piracy task force off the coast of Somalia.
- A first-time fund manager in the structuring and raising of a US$ 1 billion AIFMD-compliant private equity fund targeting European and Asian investors.
- A sovereign wealth fund in connection with its investments in various joint ventures and private equity, real estate and infrastructure funds.
- A large US asset manager in the proposed acquisition and restructuring of a private equity fund manager's platform.
- A global asset manager on the corporate and regulatory aspects of the group's EMEA restructuring as part of its Brexit contingency plans.
- Various fund managers on the application of the AIFMD and local private placement regimes to their marketing plans.
- Regulated firms on their change of control applications in the U.K., EMEA, Americas and Asia Pacific.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- University of Cambridge, B.A., 2004
- Harvard Law School, LL.M., 2005
- BPP University, Legal Practice Course, 2012, Distinction
- England and Wales
- New York