Nikhil Nathwani focuses his practice on a wide range of investment funds matters, primarily on the formation, structuring and operation of private investment funds across all major alternative investment strategies, including private equity, venture capital, real estate and infrastructure. As part of this, he also has deep experience providing advice on the structuring of complex carried interest and GP commitment arrangements, internal GP restructurings (including succession planning) and wider fund reorganisations, and ongoing advisory matters for fund managers on the operation of their funds.
In addition, Mr. Nathwani regularly represents institutional investors, funds-of-funds and asset allocators in relation to their investment programmes into funds, advising across a broad range of asset classes, strategies, and fund structures.
Mr. Nathwani also advises on secondaries transactions, whether acting for LPs on the sale or purchase of large portfolios of interests in investment funds or representing fund managers on GP-led secondary transactions, continuation funds, or other structured liquidity solutions. He also has significant experience advising both asset managers and institutional investors on co-investment structures and similar arrangements, including the establishment and operation of highly bespoke co-investment structures, and has both co-authored a guide on the subject and presented to industry professionals.
Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Nathwani spent a number of years (including a year on secondment in the Channel Islands) working in the funds team of a leading UK law firm, and at a specialist asset management-focused law firm.
- Hermes GPE on the establishment of its US$500 million private equity co-investment fund, Hermes GPE PEC V LP.
- Melior Equity Partners, on the fundraising of its €160 million Ireland-focused private equity fund, Melior Equity Partners II SCSp.
- A European PERE manager, on the establishment of their sixth European-focused private equity real estate fund.
- Daiwa Infrastructure Capital Partners, on the sale of its interests in Daiwa ICP European Infrastructure 1, L.P., in a GP-led secondary backed by Partners Group.
- Maven Capital Partners, on the establishment of their £100 million institutional buyout fund, Maven UK Regional Buyout Fund, together with various associated co-investment structures.
- Unigestion, as lead co-investor alongside Duke Street, a mid-market UK asset manager, on the acquisition of TeamSport Karting.
- A global fund-of-funds group, on the disposal of a US$500 million portfolio of limited partnership interests to a dedicated secondaries fund and several other institutional secondaries buyers.
- A London-based VC firm, on the establishment of their debut pan-European venture capital fund, and the establishment of two further funds to target seed and later-stage opportunities.
- A Swiss private markets and asset management firm, on the establishment of a secondaries fund.
- Evoco, a Swiss private equity investment manager, on the establishment of a continuation fund and the acquisition by that fund of a portfolio of fund assets.
- A specialist asset manager, on the launch of a closed-ended secondaries fund targeting investments in illiquid hedge fund positions.
- Augusta Ventures, on the establishment of its litigation funding business.
- Various European and global institutional investors, on their primary fund investment programmes (across private equity, venture capital, real estate, infrastructure and credit funds) and co-investment structures.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- London School of Economics and Political Science, LL.B., Law
- BPP University, LPC
- England and Wales