Adam Plainer, co-chair of Dechert’s global financial restructuring group, represents leading accounting firms, UK clearing banks, U.S. investment banks, hedge funds, private equity firms and corporate boards of directors in large-scale, complex restructurings and reorganizations.
Mr. Plainer has extensive experience advising distressed investors, junior and senior lenders and top insolvency practitioners on a wide range of high-profile restructurings, including contingency planning and formal insolvencies. His representations include leading the team advising KPMG as joint administrators in the landmark case of MF Global UK’s special administration, which was highlighted as a top restructuring matter twice at the Legal Business Awards and The Lawyer Awards. In addition, Mr. Plainer is also highly experienced representing clients in distressed mergers and acquisitions matters.
Mr. Plainer is consistently recognized as an outstanding lawyer by top legal publications. In The Legal 500 UK 2022, he is featured in their ‘Hall of Fame’, with clients remarking he has “unrivalled experience in formal insolvency work,” and is “one of the top five restructuring lawyers in London. He is committed, practical, available, clear with his advice and has a good understanding of appropriate billing and the value to the client.” IFLR1000 recognizes him as a “Market Leader” and he is ranked as a leading lawyer in the global, UK and Europe editions of Chambers, which describes him as a “fantastic practitioner” who is an “outstandingly practical, pragmatic, client-focused lawyer who actually provides added-value advice… and is able to create imaginative solutions in complex scenario.” Mr. Plainer is also featured in The Legal 500 UK as a “Leading Individual” in corporate restructuring and insolvency, where he is praised as “a clear leader in his field” with an “excellent reputation in the market.”
Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Plainer was the co-head of another international firm’s London restructuring practice. He was also the past president of the Insolvency Lawyers’ Association (ILA) and the Turnaround Management Association (TMA) UK.
- The administrators of Arjowiggins in relation to its management buy-out.
- The provisional liquidators of Abraaj Investment Management Limited in connection with the worldwide issues involved in the collapse of this major private equity house.
- KKR Credit on its investment in shipping loans and establishment of a shipping portfolio management company.
- 1Malaysia Development Berhad on restructuring options including sukuk certificates and its US$6.5 billion dispute with IPIC.
- Endeavour Energy in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
- KKR Credit on the establishment of a Greek NPL platform.
- BHS on its landlord company voluntary arrangements (CVAs).
- KPMG as joint administrators in the special administration of MF Global UK.
- Lehman Brothers on its restructuring.
- Senior noteholders on the £1.5 billion restructuring of General Healthcare Group, owner and operator of the BMI hospital chain.
- Hagemeyer in their restructuring as a company.
- A sponsor on CityPoint’s restructuring.
- Lenders on murabaha, musharaka and sukuk restructurings.
- WL Ross on its acquisition of the European Collins & Aikman business from the Administrators.
- A sponsor on the restructuring of FCC in Spain.
- Senior creditors in various restructurings of SIVs including Sigma Finance and Cheyne.
- Various global investment banks on their capital resolution plans.
- Lenders and investors in emerging markets restructurings in Eastern Europe, Africa and Far East.
- Various football clubs in restructurings.
- Various hedge funds on distressed investments and acquisitions of NPLs.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- Cardiff University, LL.B., 1987
- Leeds Metropolitan University, LSF, 1988