Adam Plainer, co-chair of Dechert’s global financial restructuring group, represents credit funds, private equity firms, corporates, leading accounting firms, UK clearing banks and U.S. investment banks, in large-scale, complex restructurings and reorganizations.
Mr. Plainer has extensive experience advising distressed investors, junior and senior lenders and top insolvency practitioners on a wide range of high-profile restructurings, including contingency planning and formal insolvencies. His representations include leading the team advising KPMG as joint administrators in the landmark case of MF Global UK’s special administration, which was highlighted as a top restructuring matter twice at the Legal Business Awards and The Lawyer Awards. In addition, Mr. Plainer is also highly experienced representing clients in distressed mergers and acquisitions matters.
Mr. Plainer is consistently recognized as an outstanding restructuring and insolvency lawyer by top legal publications, where sources say that “[he is] one of the top five restructuring lawyers in London,” a “fantastic practitioner” and “a clear leader in his field.” He is included in The Legal 500 UK’s ‘hall of fame’ and in IFLR1000 as a ‘market leader.’ He has also been ranked in Chambers UK for almost twenty years. Both Chambers UK and The Legal 500 UK cite various sources who highlight his commercial approach, who say that “he is an exceptionally commercial and deal-oriented lawyer,” “[he] is fantastic, he is incredibly commercial,” “[he] is an exceptional practitioner who brings common sense, commerciality and plain speaking to any situation,” “he is committed, practical, available, clear with his advice and has a good understanding of appropriate billing and the value to the client,” “[he is] outstandingly practical, pragmatic, client-focused lawyer who actually provides added-value advice… and is able to create imaginative solutions in complex scenario,” “he is committed, practical and an excellent negotiator.”
Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Plainer was the co-head of another international firm’s London restructuring practice. He was also the past president of the Insolvency Lawyers’ Association (ILA) and the Turnaround Management Association (TMA) UK.
- The administrators of Arjowiggins in relation to its management buy-out.
- The provisional liquidators of Abraaj Investment Management Limited in connection with the worldwide issues involved in the collapse of this major private equity house.
- KKR Credit on its investment in shipping loans and establishment of a shipping portfolio management company.
- 1Malaysia Development Berhad on restructuring options including sukuk certificates and its US$6.5 billion dispute with IPIC.
- Endeavour Energy in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
- KKR Credit on the establishment of a Greek NPL platform.
- BHS on its landlord company voluntary arrangements (CVAs).
- KPMG as joint administrators in the special administration of MF Global UK.
- Lehman Brothers on its restructuring.
- Senior noteholders on the £1.5 billion restructuring of General Healthcare Group, owner and operator of the BMI hospital chain.
- Hagemeyer in their restructuring as a company.
- A sponsor on CityPoint’s restructuring.
- Lenders on murabaha, musharaka and sukuk restructurings.
- WL Ross on its acquisition of the European Collins & Aikman business from the Administrators.
- A sponsor on the restructuring of FCC in Spain.
- Senior creditors in various restructurings of SIVs including Sigma Finance and Cheyne.
- Various global investment banks on their capital resolution plans.
- Lenders and investors in emerging markets restructurings in Eastern Europe, Africa and Far East.
- Various football clubs in restructurings.
- Various hedge funds on distressed investments and acquisitions of NPLs.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- Trends in European Restructurings — 2023 Dechert Distressed Investing Forum, Dechert LLP – New York, NY (November 1, 2023)
- A Conversation with Jonathan Lavine, Co-Managing Partner, Bain Capital, 2022 Dechert Distressed Investing Forum, Dechert LLP – New York, NY (October 27, 2022)
- Insights into the World of Global Restructuring — 2021 Permanent & Private Capital Summit, Virtual Conference (June 2-3, 2021)
- Cardiff University, LL.B., 1987
- Leeds Metropolitan University, LSF, 1988
- England and Wales