Adam C. R. Schmelzer is a transactional attorney advising clients in energy and natural resources as well as new economy sectors. Mr. Schmelzer represents investors, national oil companies, private energy companies, project developers and other entities on construction and development, joint venture and shareholder arrangements, mergers and acquisitions and other often strategic international transactions.
Mr. Schmelzer also advises on both outbound and inbound transactions, including multinational companies on China-related corporate matters, mergers and acquisitions, foreign direct investment and private equity. He has considerable experience advising multinationals in the telecommunications, media and technology sectors, including in sensitive industry investments into the United States and cybersecurity-related matters in China.
Mr. Schmelzer is a member of Dechert’s pro bono committee and coordinator for the Beijing office’s pro bono program.
Energy & Natural Resources
- Sinopec in its US$11 billion strategic joint venture with SIBUR of the Amur petrochemical facility.
- A Chinese state-owned company in relation to its long-term LNG supply arrangements and various Master LNG Sale and Purchase Agreements with five suppliers.
- A Chinese state-owned company in connection with its proposed divestment of its oil and gas business in an African country.
- A shareholder-broker regarding a US$60 million equity stake in a coal-fired power plant and mining consortium project in Indonesia.
- A Chinese company in its EPC contract dispute before the SIAC regarding a coal-fired power plant in Indonesia.
- A US private equity group in its shareholder rights dispute in a Mongolian mining venture.
Mergers & Acquisitions / Private Equity
- Sinopec Capital in the investment of 10% shares in LanzaTech, a global biotechnology company engaged in developing microbial catalyst technology to convert CO and CO2 into energy.
- A private equity consortium in numerous US$10-50 million biopharmaceutical industry investments in the United States.
- A Chinese investment fund in several US$20-60 million semiconductor industry investments in the United States.
- A private equity group in several US$10-30 million offshore investments in new economy targets such as aerospace and e-vehicles sectors.
- A Chinese conglomerate in its proposed US$400 million share purchase of an Australian logistics company.
- A Chinese conglomerate in its proposed US$900 million acquisition of a European cold chain logistics company.
Telecommunications, Media and Technology
- A leading Chinese FinTech company in its US corporate establishment and Broker-Dealer license.
- A global cloud services company in structuring its operations and services in China and greater East Asia.
- A global technology company in its Asia-wide call service provider Master Services Agreement.
- An American film studio in its US$100 million slate financing deal with a Chinese partner.
- A Chinese film studio in its US$20 million film production investment and related credit facility.
- Numerous US media technology companies on their offerings, operations and partnerships in Greater China in respect of cybersecurity and commercial matters.
- St. John’s University, B.A.
- Tsinghua University, M.P.A.
- Boston College Law School, J.D.