- Tate & Lyle Sugars Limited ("TLS") in Commercial Court litigation against Tate & Lyle Industries Limited ("TALIND"). TLS had previously acquired TALIND's European sugars business and pursued several contractual claims against TALIND which arose from the acquisition. The High Court issued judgment in favour of TLS for the sum of €24.9 million plus interest and costs.
- A major European energy company in commercial court proceedings and an expert determination arising from the disposal of a coal fired power station.
- Societe Generale in Commercial Court proceedings relating to the recovery of US$500 million of gold in Turkey. The recovery proceedings included actions in the English High Court, the Middle East and Turkey. Also represented Societe Generale in related proceedings seeking to recover under an insurance contract.
- Societe Generale in Commercial Court and Court of Appeal proceedings relating to sums paid under a letter of credit.
- ING against Arlington (a company operated by Rafa Rizvi) relating to the recovery of US$200 million advanced under a Facility Agreement. The recovery action included coordinated proceedings in Singapore, BVI, Hong Kong and Mauritius.
- Ensus UK in the TCC in respect of a construction and letter of credit dispute with Simon Carves.
- A global insurance broker in relation to Commercial Court proceedings arising out of damage to an oil platform.
Insurance and Reinsurance
- A Hong Kong company on related D&O and PI claims relating to a SFO investigation into the business.
- A leading UK bank in relation the operation of a trust and potential PI claim under a run-off policy.
- A major property developer in relation to a claim under a CGL policy relating to disruption to Network Rail operations on adjoining rail tracks.
- A European bank on an innovative complex insurance structure designed to minimise the use of capital required for loan transactions.
- Manulife and John Hancock in relation to the PA LMX spiral.
- Cyber risk and mitigation including reviewing insurance arrangements.
- A major European bank in two LCIA arbitrations arising out of claims under two credit insurance policies relating to a default by a mining company.
- A Russian oil company in an ICC arbitration with an international drilling operator.
- A Russian bank on LCIA recovery actions arising from a series of financial transactions with a Ukrainian borrower.
- An international hotel chain on a claim under a termination agreement which contained an ICC arbitration provision.
- A major German energy company in an arbitration relating to a coal supply contract. Maxis in a SIAC arbitration against Siva Ventures relating to a dispute over the acquisition of a telecoms business.
- A U.S. Bank in an ad hoc arbitration under a political risk insurance contract relating to trade finance contracts with Israeli businesses.
- A Spanish conglomerate in an LCIA arbitration under a political risk insurance contract relating to the construction of a waste disposal facility in Mexico.
- An international media company in relation to an investigation into allegations of corruption and bribery by senior management in an Eastern European subsidiary.
- A UK insurance broker in relation to an investigation into the fraudulent placing of insurance business with an unauthorised insurance company in the U.S. Also acted on related recovery proceedings in the UK and U.S.
- A global insurance broker in relation to an investigation into conflicts of interest.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- Trinity Hall, Cambridge, B.A., 1991