Matt Williams is an associate in Dechert’s Securities and Complex Litigation group. Mr. Williams has a broad litigation practice that includes securities matters, consumer class actions, antitrust proceedings, investigations, white collar defense and commercial disputes.
Mr. Williams has experience litigating every stage of difficult matters, including fact gathering, case evaluation and strategy, coordination of proceedings, e-discovery, motion practice, witness development, taking and defending depositions, expert work, trial preparation, evidentiary hearings, emergency relief, arbitration, mediation, and appeals. He specializes in assisting foreign and out-of-state clients navigate California’s federal and state courts systems. In addition to litigation work, his practice includes proactive counseling regarding risk management, regulatory compliance and sensitive transactions.
Mr. Williams is committed to pro bono work and has represented clients in high-profile voting rights cases, asylum appeals and Section 1983 civil rights matters. Prior to joining Dechert, he was an associate at the San Francisco office of a national litigation firm.
- Representing a consumer goods manufacturer in multiple false-advertising class actions concerning “natural” representations.
- Representing a healthcare insurer in significant antitrust litigation relating to out-of-network reimbursement rates. Successfully moved to compel arbitration in San Francisco Superior Court.
- Representing a gaming technology company in class action regarding marketing practices.
- Representing the US-based subsidiaries of a Chinese drone manufacturer in a class action regarding compliance with federal aviation regulations.
- Representing the foreign owners of a global apparel brand in commercial litigation pending in California and investigation into misconduct by former executive.
- Representing local NAACP affiliate in voting-rights lawsuit; co-counsel with ACLU.
- Advising a foreign, nonparty witness in high-profile fraud prosecution in the Northern District of California.
- Represented a private equity firm, its former portfolio company, and subsequent acquiror in multiple securities-fraud actions filed by former executives and employees.
- Represented investment fund in responding to subpoena issued in shareholder litigation pending in Delaware Chancery Court.
- Advised an Asia-based infrastructure firm in significant transactions with a California renewable energy company.
- California Contract Ruling Should Concern Cannabis Cos. - Law360 (June 16, 2020)
- The Perils of Success: Innovator Liability & the Emerging Cannabis Market - Cannabis Law Journal (July 2020)
- California Tort Damages 2nd Edition - Update author to “Limitations on Liability” chapter, California Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB) (January 2021)
- What To Include In Orders Governing Remote Arbitration - Law360 (November 16, 2021)
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Defense Research Institute – Young Lawyers Steering Committee (2022-2023)
- University of California, Santa Cruz, B.A., Politics, 2014, Departmental Honors; College Service Citation
- University of California Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 2018, Dean’s scholarship recipient; Executive Articles Editor, Hastings Business Law Journal; "Best Oral Advocate" in Moot Court, spring 2016
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California