Matthew F. Williams concentrates his practice on class actions and complex litigation. Mr. Williams defends manufacturers and service providers facing high-stakes consumer fraud complaints, commercial disputes, product liability matters and privacy/cybersecurity incidents.
Mr. Williams has experience litigating every stage of difficult matters, including internal investigations, case evaluation and strategy, discovery, motion practice, witness development, trial preparation, arbitration, mediation and appeals. In addition to litigation work, his practice includes proactive counseling regarding risk management, regulatory compliance and sensitive transactions.
Mr. Williams is committed to pro bono work and has represented clients in asylum appeals and Section 1983 civil rights matters. Prior to joining Dechert, he was a litigation associate at the San Francisco office of a national litigation firm.
- California Contract Ruling Should Concern Cannabis Cos. - Law360 (June 16, 2020)
- The Perils of Success: Innovator Liability & the Emerging Cannabis Market - Cannabis Law Journal (July 2020)
- California Tort Damages 2nd Edition - Update author to “Limitations on Liability” chapter, California Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB) (January 2021)
- What To Include In Orders Governing Remote Arbitration - Law360 (November 16, 2021)
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Defense Research Institute
- University of California, Santa Cruz, B.A., Politics, 2014, Departmental Honors; College Service Citation
- University of California Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 2018, Dean’s scholarship recipient; Executive Articles Editor, Hastings Business Law Journal; "Best Oral Advocate" in Moot Court, spring 2016
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California