Oil and Gas
Dechert advises clients on the complex legal, commercial and technical issues associated with upstream, midstream and downstream developments and transactions worldwide. Our clients include oil and gas companies (majors, independents and national oil companies), as well as governments around the world. We also represent contractors, traders, investors (including private equity houses and investment funds) and financial institutions active in the industry.
Clients rely on Dechert to handle the full spectrum of transactions and issues they encounter in the upstream, midstream, downstream and oilfield services sectors of the oil and gas industry. We have successfully helped our clients with:
- Licensing and ownership rights
- Exploration and production, including production-sharing agreements (PSAs) and joint operating agreements (JOAs)
- Oil, gas and product pipelines, terminals and storage facilities
- Drilling contracts, offshore rig, platform and vessel charters
- Acquisitions and disposals including farm-ins/outs
- Gas processing plants
- Refining, transportation and marketing of petroleum products
- LNG plants, facilities, regasification and shipping
- Petrochemical plants and facilities
- Oil and gas field services
- Litigation including expropriation, sanctions and contractual disputes
Mining and Metals
Dechert’s lawyers advise mining companies (from multinationals to juniors), as well as financial institutions, contractors and other related parties on all aspects of their mining operations and investments worldwide, throughout the entire life cycle of mining and metals production. Our lawyers also assist clients engaged in post-extraction processing and manufacturing, as well as in commodities trading. We have extensive experience advising clients, both domestically and cross-border. Consequently, we understand the commercial concerns and negotiating positions of all parties on a project and are able to bring this experience to bear.
In particular, we have notable experience assisting clients in:
- Acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures and earn-ins
- Regulatory compliance and corporate governance matters
- ESG matters
- Royalty and streaming matters
- Permit issues
- Project development and project financing
- Consultation with Indigenous groups
- Mining disputes including responses to government enforcement actions, bilateral investment treaty arbitration and expropriation and disputes concerning construction, payment, supply, royalties and investments
- Internal and government investigations
- Environmental assessments
In the renewable energy sector, change comes quickly – and constantly. A market once dominated by oil, gas and other conventional energy sources has been replaced by cleaner and greener energies due to increasing demand. We assist clients with a broad range of generation and distribution projects across the full mix of renewable energy types. We have experience in structuring of investment funds which focus on investing in renewable energy projects. We understand that developing effective and efficient solutions to growing power demands requires innovative solutions. Our lawyers also advise clients on technology licensing matters.
Our interdisciplinary teams help clients create green and sustainable energy and cleantech projects in areas including solar, hydroelectric, hydrogen, capturing carbon credits, wind and geothermal.
Our team frequently advises clients on all aspects of renewable projects, including:
- Greenfield acquisitions and development
- Environmental assessments and permitting
- Project development and project finance
- Consultation with Indigenous groups
- Construction, including EPC and O&M agreements
- Regulatory issues
- Power purchase agreements
- Tax structuring
- Trading and marketing
- Disputes including litigation and arbitration
Our lawyers have a deep understanding of the technical, business and political aspects of the power sector. This enables us to achieve our clients’ business objectives by anticipating and resolving the industry-specific issues that matter to them.
Our clients include:
- Power producers and generators
- Electricity transmission operators
- Public utilities and governments
- Industrial energy consumers
- EPC contractors
- Project developers
- Private equity and strategic investors
- Venture capital firms
- Financial institutions
- Energy traders
We also represent the companies that provide the technology, services and products that are essential to the relevant sector.
Dechert advises on all aspects of major infrastructure projects internationally, including PPP, concession agreements, structuring, planning, development, construction, financing and management. We have considerable expertise advising clients in relation to planning matters including site appraisals, major planning applications, environmental impact assessments, highways, waterways and licensing matters, planning and infrastructure agreements and environmental indemnities.
We have experience in developing and negotiating design and construction contracts, and regularly bring this expertise to bear in relation to infrastructure transactions. Our lawyers also manage proceedings concerning claims litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
- Transmission infrastructure
- Civil infrastructure
- Ports, roads and railways