- Chrysaor Holdings Limited on the US$3 billion acquisition of a package of assets in the UK North Sea from Shell UK Limited and its affiliates.
- MOL Oil and Gas Plc against the Republic of Croatia in ICSID Case No. ARB/13/32 arising from Croatia’s treatment of our client’s over US$1.5 billion investment in a publicly traded oil & gas company. We also advised MOL against the Republic of Croatia in a parallel UNCITRAL case. The tribunal dismissed every claim brought by Croatia, and ordered Croatia to pay MOL's legal fees and costs.
- Kinross Gold Corporation on over US$4 billion in M&A transactions in Russia, including on its proposed acquisition of Chulbatkan, a high-quality, heap leach development project in Russia, from N-Mining Limited for a total fixed consideration of US$283 million and on its US$368 million acquisition of companies owning the rights to the high-grade Dvoinoye deposit and the Vodorazdelnaya exploration and mining licenses in Chukotka.
- Sinopec on a range of acquisitions, including: its US$5.5 billion acquisition from Galp Energia SGPS, S.A. of 30% of its upstream interests in Brazil; the estimated US$2.9 billion acquisition of Daylight Energy Ltd; and its acquisition of a 10% stake in SIBUR.
- The Republic of Ecuador in an ICSID arbitration against Occidental Petroleum concerning the termination of a production sharing agreement.
- China Minmetals on the establishment of a joint venture in Ukraine with respect to the development of iron ore mines, as well as in connection with an arbitration in Hong Kong and related Rule B attachment litigation in the U.S. arising out of disputes over a contract of affreightment.
- China Datang Overseas Investment Company Limited, China’s largest power company, on the formation of a Kazakhstan-China joint venture with TT Group LLP for the construction of two hydropower plants (17.9 megawatts and 18.9 megawatts) on the Koksu River in Kazakhstan.
- Michael Cherney in a dispute against Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska regarding his claim to a multibillion-dollar stake in Rusal, the world’s largest aluminium company. This was one of the most substantial commercial disputes to be heard before the Commercial Court in London.
- OAO Mechel, the Russian metals and mining conglomerate, on its acquisition of the U.S. privately owned Bluestone Coal Corporation, for US$425 million plus shares, which involved the issuance of preferred shares totaling 15% of Mechel’s charter capital, as well as the US$425 million disposal of the Voskhod Mining Plant (in Khromtau, Kazakhstan) and Tikhvin Ferroalloy Plant (in Tikhvin, Leningrad Region, Russia) to Turkey’s Yildirim Group via Mechel’s wholly owned subsidiary, Oriel Resources.
- OCI Solar Power on its project financing of a 400MW solar power plant development project in the City of San Antonio, the largest municipal utility solar project in the United States.
- The Head of State of a West African government in a worldwide corruption investigation in Africa, the United States and Europe further to allegations of bribery and corruption when mining rights were granted.
- KazMunaiGaz Finance B.V. in connection with a transaction for the advance sale and purchase of crude oil.
Dechert advises clients on the complex legal, commercial and technical issues associated with upstream, midstream and downstream developments and transactions worldwide. Our clients include oil and gas companies (majors, independents and national oil companies), as well as governments around the world. We also represent contractors, traders, investors (including private equity houses and investment funds) and financial institutions active in the industry.
Clients rely on Dechert to handle the full spectrum of transactions and issues they encounter in the upstream, midstream, downstream and oilfield services sectors of the oil and gas industry. We have successfully helped our clients with:
- Licensing and ownership rights
- Exploration and production, including production-sharing agreements (PSAs) and joint operating agreements (JOAs)
- Oil, gas and product pipelines, terminals and storage facilities
- Drilling contracts, offshore rig, platform and vessel charters
- Acquisitions and disposals including farm-ins/outs
- Gas processing plants
- Refining, transportation and marketing of petroleum products
- LNG plants, facilities, regasification and shipping
- Petrochemical plants and facilities
- Oil and gas field services
- Litigation including expropriation, sanctions and contractual disputes
Dechert’s lawyers advise mining companies (from multinationals to juniors), as well as financial institutions, contractors and other related parties on all aspects of their mining operations worldwide. Our lawyers also assist clients engaged in post-extraction processing and manufacturing, as well as in commodities trading. We have extensive experience advising clients, both domestically and cross-border. Consequently, we understand the commercial concerns and negotiating positions of all parties on a project and are able to bring this experience to bear.
In particular, we have notable experience assisting clients in:
- Acquisitions, disposals and joint ventures
- Regulatory compliance and corporate governance matters
- Permit issues
- Development / project financing
- Mining disputes including responses to government enforcement actions, bilateral investment treaty arbitration and expropriation and disputes concerning construction, payment, supply, royalties and investments
- Internal and government investigations
- Environmental matters
In the renewable energy sector, change comes quickly – and constantly. We assist clients with a broad range of generation and distribution projects across the full mix of renewable energy types. We have experience in structuring of investment funds which focus on investing in renewable energy projects. We understand that developing effective and efficient solutions to growing power demands requires innovative solutions. Our lawyers also advise clients on technology licensing matters.
Our interdisciplinary teams help clients create green and sustainable energy and cleantech projects in areas including solar, hydroelectric, wind and geothermal.
Our team frequently advises clients on all aspects of renewable projects, including:
- Greenfield acquisitions and development
- Environmental assessments
- Development / project finance
- Construction, including EPC and O&M agreements
- Regulatory issues
- Power purchase agreements
- Tax structuring
- Trading and marketing
- Disputes including litigation and arbitration