Jay R. Alicandri is co-chair of Dechert’s corporate and securities practice and one of the leaders of the firm’s permanent capital and private credit practice. He represents asset managers, banks, insurance companies and other financial institutions in the private credit space, including Apollo, Bain, Barings, BC Partners, Blackstone, Blue Owl, Blue Torch, FS Investments, Golub Capital, Hercules, HPS, ING Capital, KKR, Main Street Capital, OFS Capital, Thoma Bravo and Varagon.
Mr. Alicandri is recognized as a leading lawyer for Banking & Finance by Chambers USA, a legal directory based on the opinions of clients and peers. In Chambers’ most recent edition, Mr. Alicandri was described as "a great resource for unique challenges" who “is extremely well respected and a great thought partner." Clients have previously noted him as “a standout partner” who “understands the underlying business [which] informs his advice regarding the credit facilities he works on behalf of asset manager/fund borrowers.” He is also consistently recommended for Commercial Lending in The Legal 500 (U.S.), where clients say he is “fantastic; very knowledgeable, commercial and easy to work with,” and “a very facile leveraged finance lawyer who is appreciated by clients for his outstanding work ethic and strong command of legal as well as business facts.” In addition, he is regularly named a "Notable Practitioner" by IFLR1000 for banking in the United States and New York.
Mr. Alicandri is also a thought leader and regularly speaks on a wide variety of topics related to asset finance, private credit, and middle market lending.
- The Investing Landscape, 2023 Permanent & Private Capital Summit, Dechert LLP – New York, NY (June 13, 2023)
- Private Credit Roundtable, 2022 Permanent & Private Capital Summit, Dechert LLP – New York, NY (May 24 – 25, 2022)
- Venturing Through Alternative Asset Finance, 2021 Permanent & Private Capital Summit – Virtual Conference (June 2-3, 2021)
- Permanent and Private Capital in the Time of COVID-19: Where We've Been and Where We're Going, Dechert LLP - Virtual Conference (August 20, 2020)
- How Will Private Credit Funds Perform in an Economic Downturn?, PDI's New York Forum - New York, NY (September 25, 2019)
- Products in Private Credit: What’s New, Different and Changing?, 5th Annual Permanent & Private Capital Summit – New York, NY (April 4, 2019)
- Market Outlook for Private Credit, AIMA's Alternative Credit Council Summit - New York, NY (November 06, 2018)
- State of the Private Credit Markets, Creditflux & Debtwire's US Mid-Market Forum - New York, NY (October 02, 2018)
- Financing Private Debt Strategies, Dechert's 2018 Permanent Capital Summit - New York, NY (April 18, 2018)
- Financing the Economy: Private Credit Research Launch, The Alternative Credit Council (ACC) - New York, NY (October 11, 2017)
- Navigating a Crowded Middle Market: The Demand for Senior Capital, Private Debt Investor - New York, NY (September 28, 2017)
- 2nd Annual LPGP Private Debt Chicago - Chicago, IL (September 19, 2017)
- Perspectives on Middle Market Lending, Dechert's 2017 Permanent Capital Summit - New York, NY (March, 08, 2017)
- Financing a Permanent Capital Vehicle, Current Trends in Permanent Capital: What Alternative Managers Need to Know Now - New York, NY (January 22, 2015)
- University at Albany, State University of New York, B.A., 1995, magna cum laude
- St. John’s University School of Law, J.D., 1998, cum laude, member of the American Bankruptcy Institute Law Journal
- New York
- New Jersey